Wednesday, October 26, 2011

October 26, 2011


Mt Stewart throught the clouds
(see the grey blob on the tree?)



I finally called on Monday about getting my camera fixed under warranty. There is a big, grey blob on every picture from something that I am sure is in the lens. Was very pleased to hear that, once they receive it, I should have it back in 5 to 7 days! Now that is service. And that is Canon. I'll get it mailed out on Friday when I go Down There, so I won't have any current photos for a couple of weeks.


We actually got an early start on Monday. When I get dressed upon rising, I wake up much more quickly than when I just throw on my dressing gown (which I usually do). Another bright, sunny but COLD Fall day. The temperature was 28 at 7:30 a.m. And still 28 when we went out side to cut wood. Didn't have to be concerned about working up a sweat. We worked for an hour and one-half and managed to cut three loads for the wood shed and four loads for the splitter. When we finally quit for a late lunch, the day had warmed up to 30. The high for the day was 40.

After lunch I had to make some phone calls, including the one for the camera. Also, myy bank "up-dated" their on-line banking site and I had to get help on figuring it out. . .

JB worked on the snow blower as he is having problems starting it, and we have snow forecast for November 2. I may have to buy some spark plugs on Friday, too. After my calls, I split and stacked two loads of wood. I'd say one more load and the wood shed will be as full as I can get it. I am not going to get on a stool and stack the wood higher than I can reach. I have already started stacking some small branch wood on the porch.

Tuesday morning JB sliced up his green peppers and put them in the dehydrator, while I had breakfast and tried to wake up. After doing the dishes, JB helped me move some of the furniture around a bit. A couple months ago, Dinga quit using her crate which was her own little castle for three years. Just decided one day that she didn't like it any more, so I finally decided to get it out of the house, which left a big empty area at the end of the love seat. I like the way we have it now. Much more entry room by the front door.

After lunch we spent a couple hours pulling logs down from the east slope. Got another nice pile to cut, and really cleaned up that part of the slope nicely. Then I needed to get the rose hip puree cooked, and JB needed to figure out why the water pump warning light was coming on. He had to open up the panel box and make it happen again to see what the specific problem was. Of course I was done cutting and cleaning two pounds of rose hips before he could recreate the problem. It was the voltage indicator, so we may have an issue with our transformer. JB tried to explain to me about the kilowatt hours, voltage, transformer, etc., but my eyes just glazed over. He did some fiddling around, but now we have to wait til tomorrow when the sun is on the panels to see if he found and/or fixed the problem.

Meanwhile, I only ended up with 2-1/2 cups of puree when I should have had eight. Hmmm. I think our rose hips have a lot more seeds and a lot less pulp than the ones used to create that recipe. Will cook up another bigger batch tomorrow.

I have been noticing quite often that when I state our plans for the day or the week, some of the projects never get done or are delayed. Well, in a perfect world. . . What we do get done are those that are necessary for our survival and comfort. Never really had to be concerned with that when living Down There. Occasionally I am dismayed by our declining energy levels, which is more noticeable Up Here with our way of life. I really believe that age is a state of mind, but sometimes I'm not sure my body is listening. I would love to have my 50's energy back. My idols are my Aunt Nene and my Mother's friend who is now 96 years old and was forced to slow down and "act her age." Since she has to sit and rest more often now, she has taken up embroidering so she won't be doing nothing!

Thought for the day:  Inside every older person is a younger person wondering
                            "What the hell happened?!"

No comments:

Post a Comment