Thursday, December 8, 2011

December 9, 2011

Mountain sun & valley fog on
Thursday, 12/8

The high pressure system that is parked over eastern Washington is giving us phenomenal blue skies and sunshine, but it is also causing an inversion layer Down There with air stagnation warnings through this Sunday.  That means lots of mountain sun and valley fog, as you can see in the photo above.  Our air Up Here is still crisp and clear.  Perfect for getting out, going on hikes and taking lots of pictures.

Thursday's high temperature was only 23.  I think I expend as much energy getting in and out of my outside gear as I do going on our hikes.  But that's okay as I need to work off all that eggnog and future Christmas goodies.  I plan to bake lots of cookies this year, as soon as my Christmas cards are all made.  And that should be by this evening.

JB went Down There on Wednesday for a blood test, mail & a little shopping.  The first two miles of our road are still icy, but the main canyon road is almost clear now.  More traffic on that road, plus it is gravelled.

Except for Wednesday, JB has been working in his shop each day.  He finished the pine guard for my desk, and it looks great!  Now he's working on flat dollies for the dog food under the stairs.  They will make getting those 40 lb. bags in and out so very much easier.

Less than two weeks to go til the Winter Solstice when the days start to get longer again.  And not a day too soon.  When we get down to less than nine hours of daylight, I really want to hibernate.  Well, actually that urge hasn't been as strong lately with all the sunny days we are having, but I still have a hard time getting out of bed in the morning.

Thought for the day:  The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office.  Will Rogers

3 comments:

  1. Rose,
    I don't usually comment in blogs much, but I wanted to let you know I've been reading your story since I saw your comment in BHM.
    I've enjoyed it immensely, and look forward to each new post. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Don, I have been following since reading what you wrote in BHM. I am from Washington (Tacoma), but have been transplanted to Georgia for the last 27 years. I enjoy your blog, and love the pictures!
    Shar

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your pictures, I admire you for living yours dream life, I will retire in August, and am looking forward to start on my b ucket list.

    ReplyDelete