Friday, February 1, 2013

Feb 1, 2013 Another MAX ride


Dinga rolling in the snow to cool off
during our ride

Wednesday, clear with a high of 40.  Larry and Elsie had 52 degrees on their way home from work.  Must be prepping for a mild February.

JB baked french bread to have with the pasta I was planning to make for dinner.  I made more greeting cards.  Walked up to the peak on the south ridge with the dogs.  Wore my light coat and pants, but had to take off my hat and gloves, and unzip my coat.  Must have been at least 45 in the sun.

Some days the well pump is only bringing up water for 10  to 15 minutes.  Must be a large volume though, as the level in the cistern is usually just below the float, which would be about 80% full.

Thursday began as 30 and got up to 38.  A cloudy morning and sunny afternoon.  January ends so much brighter than it begins, and thank goodness for that.  We only received 7-1/8" of snow in January, compared to almost three feet in December.  Our lowest daily high was 7 and our highest was 40.

Jesse must have caught a squirrel shortly after breakfast as we saw him walking up to the south ridge with a tail hanging out of his mouth.  Dinga soon followed and they were both gone for quite a while.  No sign of his catch though on our walks up there.

After lunch we went for a nice leisurely ride in MAX down to the main canyon road and up it a bit.  Slow enough for the dogs to explore without rushing.  This time Jesse did not want to ride on the way back.  He went on some detours and didn't get home until about 15 minutes after we did.

With the warmer temperatures and higher angle of the sun, our slickery pathways are finally melting, which is nice, but we have to stay right in the middle of the unshoveled ones or sink down several inches. 

I read The Cat Who. . . book number 22 on Wednesday and Thursday.  Will start number 23 today.  They are such light, fun reads.  And speaking of books, I am missing a box of them.  A box of my books, which is really irritating.  Some things are not a problem, but books are quite another thing.

Our son's Mardi Gras' organization has their parade and ball this weekend in Mobile.  I love Mardi Gras!  There's just no other celebration quite like it, at least that I have experienced, even Chinese New Year in San Francisco.

I've had to set aside Uncle Jack's eulogy for a few days.  I was getting so frustrated.  How do you talk about someone's life and character in minutes, not hours?! To have to choose from my many and various memories, and to choose just the right words.  A daunting task.

The moon is waning and rising much later now, but the stars are much easier to see without it.  You simply cannot see them from Down There like you can from Up Here.  Nor can you listen like you can Up Here.  To your thoughts.  To the Universe.

Thought for the day:  All night, all day, Angels watching over me, my Lord.  All night, all day, Angels watching over me.  Chorus from an old, favorite song.

No comments:

Post a Comment