Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Feb 6, 2013 Very Warm for Winter



Dogs on the peak, looking east

Monday was partly cloudy with a high of 38.  With these warmer temperatures, Dinga is shedding enough fur to weave a blanket every other day!  It's as if she thinks Spring is just around the corner.  According to NOAA, we have a 50% chance of snow on Thursday.  At this point, I think I'll believe the dog.  I just wish I could grow as much hair and as fast as Dinga grows fur, but just on the top of my head.  Not all the other unwanted placed it seems to be cropping up as I grow older.

Mid morning the dogs went nuts barking and Jesse was gone for about an hour, way up the east slope and through the fence.  He doesn't bark at deer, so it must have been coyotes.

We spent almost two hours looking for the smoked gouda and potato soup recipe.  Even went through the bag of paper to be recycled, piece by piece.  We made the soup several months ago and loved it.  Then lost the recipe.  Found the recipe a few weeks ago and I glued it to a 3X5 card, then I thought I put it in my cookbook under "soups."  Obviously not, because now we can't find it again.  I probably put it in one of my famous - or rather infamous - special places where it will be safe and I'll know just where it is.  My Mother used to do that and it drove me (and her) nuts.  Can one actually inherit a propensity of something like that?!!  Heredity or environment?

JB drove MAX up to the south ridge and was finally able to make it all the way up to the peak.  Drove that several times to groom and tamp down the snow.  I finished book #25 of The Cat Who . . . series and started #26.  Also spent some time on the computer trying to catch up with my e-mail.

Tuesday was mostly overcast and 26 when JB left at 8:30 for Down There.  The cloud cover cleared to blue sky by mid morning, so I had a lovely day while JB spent most of his in valley fog.  Our high was 34.

The dogs and I went for a walk after lunch, instead of their morning "sojourn", as JB always refers to it.  We hiked up to the peak which is much easier now that MAX has smoothed it out.  Don't have to be concerned about sinking into the snow at the edge of a narrow path.  Then we headed over to my bench on the north ridge.  There was a bit of a wind but it was surprising how mild it was on the south ridge where most of the snow is gone from the slope.  Much colder on the north ridge where the canyon is still covered with snow.

Finished The Cat Who . . . book #26 and started #27.  Made some more cards and dusted a couple of shelved I had missed.

Found the missing recipe stuck to the bottom of a magazine just before JB returned home. . .  Put all the groceries away.  Sorted the mail which was mainly catalogs and junk mail.  There were a few letters and magazines, and the three newspapers that JB bought.  Will dive into them today.

JB had bought ice cream and I had some for the first time in more than six months.  Good, but not as good as it tastes in my memory.  Funny how that happens. . .

Thought for the day:  Few things are more irritating that when someone who is wrong is also very effective at making his point.  Mark Twain

No comments:

Post a Comment