Monday, July 21, 2014

July 21, 2014 It's Cool Again!

Small bull snake on the porch.


Friday 7/18. JB left for Seattle at 9:00 am.  I got busy with the chores, and again, it was cool enough to go on our full walk at 10:30 am.

Our son called on his way home from a short day at work.  Next weekend he and his family are going on a four-day weekend with their trailer to a place on the beach in Florida where they can snorkel.  The last two years on their vacation, they have taught the children to snorkel and they absolutely love it.  They finally found a place within three hours from home where it can be done close to shore on a reef.  If I were a water person, I just might try it.  The grandchildren are definitely water "babies."

It was cool enough to actually work outside, so I started organizing the wood shed.  I had to pull out some of the wood and re-stack it.  Finally getting back to some manual labor.

Larry suggested that I sprinkle water in the chicken coup as the girls seem to like it, which I did and they loved it.  They are used to having a large pan of water along with the drinking water, so I gave them one to save on having to change their drinking water so often.

Our high for the day was 94 but we had a cool breeze again that worked itself into a wind by late afternoon.

Saturday 7/19. It was 66 and mostly overcast this morning with no smoke.  I can see smoke to the far north, but there is none in the valleys.

Homemade cranberry/orange scone for breakfast.  Mmmmm!

About mid-morning I drove Miss Kitty down to road to pull knapweed that JB's spraying had missed, and gather wood.  I drove slowly and stopped often, so the dogs really enjoyed it.  I got a real workout, again with the manual labor.
 It was only in the mid 70's, but felt hot in the sun.  Back up at Rose Camp, I cut the wood and stacked it.  Still some patches of knapweed left, but I'll work on them on a cooler day.

After lunch it was time for a shower and a nap!

It was windy again today, gusting up into the low 20's.  Larry and Elsie always seem to get it a lot worse than we do.

I started sorting out the loft, which is the job I gave myself to do while JB is gone.  Not one I am really looking forward to.  But I also switched a couple pieces of furniture, the desk in the living room with the sideboard in the bedroom.  This is how we originally had them and I like it much better.  JB knows that when he leaves for more than a day or two, he will usually come back to something different in the house. . .

Sunday 7/20.  It was 55 and mostly overcast this morning.  Oh my, that coolness felt good!

I drove Miss Kitty down to Larry's and Elsie's at about 11:00 am to help them pick cherries.  They have two cherry trees that have ripened faster than they can keep up with them and the birds are having a field day.  We had a nice visit and I was back home in a couple of hours.

Our high was only 70, and that was after 4:00 pm when the overcast finally cleared.  I got a lot of little things done and just enjoyed feeling cool again.

As I was watering the hanging basket after dinner, I noticed a little bull snake on the porch - not a rattler.  I took a couple pictures and then it slid down the porch.  About two seconds later, Dinga comes scurrying out!  So funny!  I haven't seen the frog since it started cooling off.

Just one egg from the girls yesterday and today.  A couple of them are molting, so that may be affecting their laying.

I talk to JB every day.  His Mom certainly enjoys having him there, but I sure miss him.

Monday 7/21.  It was 48 and clear when I got up!  I had to put on my robe to go feed the girls.  It feels so nice!

Thought for the day: Age does not protect you from love.  But love, to some extent, protects you from age.

No comments:

Post a Comment