Monday, July 7, 2014

July 7, 2014 Just Trying to Stay Cool

One of Elsie's beautiful planters.

Fireweed & paintbrush along our road.




















Friday 7/4. As my Dad always used to say: "And a good time was had by all."  There were only eight of us this year but that included JB's 92-year-old Mother and we were all thrilled that she wanted to be here with us.  JB's 20-year-old nephew said that Thursday night's sunset along was worth the trip.  Mother Nature really did put on quite a display - better than any man-made fireworks.

This year began a new family tradition: German portedos, best served with bourbon. . .  JB's idea. 

I led them back down to the gate in Miss Kitty at about 3:30 pm, then watered the plants and fed the animals at Larry's and Elsie's.  They have taken a well-earned four-day weekend to go camping and fishing, so I will be making two trips a day to their place.

Saturday 7/5. It was 59 with a light overcast this morning, and a lovely ride down to Larry's and Elsie's.  As good as sitting on the porch with my coffee, or maybe even better.

We have so many leftover's that we won't have to plan meals for a few days.  That's really good because we are in for a really hot spell which dowses any thoughts of cooking.  Today's high was 85, but again, there was a refreshing breeze.

The only work I did outside was to trim the larger branches from the downed trees to cut into fire wood.  We both read books and vegged.

Sunday 7/6.  The dogs wanted out at 5:55 am and five minutes later my phone rang.  It was Larry calling to advise us of a fire on the outskirts of Wenatchee to the northeast of us that friend had called him about.  Well, that woke me up!  I got dressed and drove Miss Kitty to an outlook where we could see it.  The wind was blowing from the west, so I couldn't even smell the smoke.  Didn't look like anything to be too concerned about, but the dogs thought it was a great treat for a run so early in the morning.  JB listened to his shortwave radio and I called Larry back when we heard the fire was out.  I think he had gone back to sleep. . .

Since I was up, I drove down to Larry's and Elsie's at 7:15 to water and feed.  I really enjoy the morning trips.  The forest is so fresh as it is waking up.  In this heat, the afternoon trips are not quite as enjoyable.  Our high today was 91, with very little air movement until late afternoon.  I did manage to get the branches all cut up though and will take them all to the wood shed when it gets a little cooler.

It was such an early morning that by 9:30 am I was taking a two-hour nap.

The Westies from across the canyon were up for the weekend and came to visit after dinner.  We hadn't seem then since New Year's Eve, so we had a nice visit.

Monday 7/7.  It was already 62 at 7:00 am and not a cloud in sight.  I couldn't get on the internet, so I took my last trip down to Larry's and Elsie's to water and feed.  As soon as they hear me pull into the driveway, their chickens know they are going to get some food and are urging me to hurry up and get with it.  It was another refreshing drive down and back, but it is going to be one of those days during which we simply try to stay cool.

Thought for the day: There is no pleasure in having nothing to do; the fun is having lots to do and not doing it. John W. Raper

No comments:

Post a Comment