Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Sept 10, 2014 Still Bit of a City Girl

Thistles are blooming in the canyon now.





Monday 9/8.  We have at least three, and possibly four or five, rather vocal frogs under the house now.  I think their croaking is what is waking up the dogs at 4:00 am!

After lunch JB drove the tractor down to fill in a few more pot holes and bring up another load of sand for the horse shoe pit.  We are having a problem keeping air in one of the small front tires for more than one trip down.  Will have to take it in to get it fixed after the BBQ.

Forgot to mention that we learned quite a bit about dairy goats at the Chelan County Fair last week.  It seems that dairy cows and goats are not born to be such, but after the female has her first calf/kid, you just keep milking her after the baby is weaned.  If she isn't milked each day, it will dry up.  Seems I am still much more of a city girl than I thought.  I can only imagine what the lady we were talking to thought of us. . .

But, speaking of learning, I found that after the seven day break in my daily routine, because of my trip to Idaho, I have been able to give up M&M's.  I do not have the cravings for them any more and have switched to dark chocolate, of which I eat much less.

Our high today was 78 and the sky had cleared by the time we took our afternoon walk at 3:30 pm.  The wind had kicked up but it was mostly treetop.

After dinner we decided to go down to visit Larry and Elsie.  We were chatting on their lower deck and, as the cool set in, they started up their small gas fire pit.  A very enjoyable evening.

Tuesday 9/9.  The day began with blue sky, 50 degrees and a cool breeze.

We have two important family birthdays this week: JB's Mom turned 93 and Mike turned 16.  Happy birthday to them both!

It is so nice not to rush in the morning.  After so many years of getting up early and rushing off to a cubicle for the day, sitting on the porch with my coffee is pure bliss.  I think that is why I don't go for early morning walks Up Here.  It isn't that I don't enjoy them, I just enjoy slow mornings so much more.

But speaking of rushing, tomorrow morning we have to take JB's Jeep in to be fixed.  A few months ago a critter chewed up the wires to his front right light, turn signal & fog light.  Fortunately the insurance covers that.  I am going to take down a load of cardboard and cans for recycling, and do a few other errands too.

Before lunch we went on a drive and finally found one of our neighbor's places.  Discovering more and more of our canyon.  I was greeted at his gate by a prairie rattler and didn't have my snake stick or snake shot in the pistol.  It slithered away before I could find a rock or some other stick.

After lunch JB put the trailers back in their places and used the tractor to mow what little needed to be done around the house.  I cut up fat wood.  Am going to give each family who attends our BBQ a coffee can full.

It was a very pleasant day with a high of 71.  A few clouds blew over, but the sky remained mostly clear.  We finished watching the first season of Game of Thrones, and will start the second season next week.

Wednesday 9/10. It is 46 and mostly clear this morning.  JB got up at 6:00 am and woke me up at 6:45.  I was just about to wash my hair when he discovered that our appointment for the car is tomorrow.  I had wanted it today, but there was nothing available til Thursday.  Didn't keep us from thinking it was today.  So it was back to bed for a while.

Thought for the day: Everything that slows us down and forces patience, everything that sets us back into the slow circles of nature, is a help.  Gardening is an instrument of grace.  May Sarton

1 comment: