Monday, September 22, 2014

Sept 22, 2014 Fall is Officially Here & the FDA is Officially Incompetent

My favorite Fall bush -
deer brush.




Friday 9/19. JB did more chipping and finished the yard area.  I took a nap. . .

The girls were so noisy today that we thought for sure we were going to find six eggs instead of the one we did!

Once again the FDA has proved themselves completely incompetent.  Seems they approved tiny plastic beads to be used in some Crest toothpastes.  Now dental hygienists are finding them lodged in patients' gums, and they are gumming up the environment.  Will it never end?!

And a big "Thank You" to JJ for explaining the difference in the jays. . .

Saturday 9/20. Another beautiful morning.  Summer is exiting so very graciously.  Our high temp yesterday was 77, as was today's.

I began the day with a nice long talk with Sandy.  Always a good start.

Then I got a chicken stew going, with fresh, small red potatoes from the garden.  JB drove Miss Kitty down to the Gridders to help Mr. Gridder load his huge trailer full of lumber that he had left over from building the tree house.  There is even some we can use to finish the bathroom ceiling and the loft wall, not exactly lumber but a type of wall board.  We loaned him several movies, mainly for his seven-year-old and eleven-year-old sons.

I had to leave before Gridder did to go to Larry and Elsie's.  They had an evening out (which they so rarely do), so I fed all the animals and stayed there for a while so the dogs could be outside.  I always love visiting their dogs and cats.  Yes, and their chickens, too.

Sunday 9/21.  It was clear and 60 when I got up a little after 7:00 am this morning.  Had to prepare apples for dehydrating.  Never used the dehydrator before, but the apples turned out pretty good.  Only a few weren't completely done after six hours, so I put them in a bag in the refrigerator.  I vacuum sealed the rest in a half-gallon jar.  I want to try potatoes next week.  

I cut up half an apple I had left over and JB made apple pancakes for breakfast.

After breakfast I went out to bring more downed branch wood up from the west slope, as I have been doing for the past several days.  It's great exercise as that slope is pretty steep.  I also spent some time on the north ridge just enjoying the day.  It was nice and cool in the shade, but a hot high of 80 in the sun.

JB took the front left tire off of the tractor for me to take Down There tomorrow to be fixed.  Hopefully it can be fixed.  I'll drop it off before I attack the huge pile of laundry I am taking down.

While he was working on the tractor, I dug up the rest of the potatoes.  The last Yukon plant was sporting two big spuds.  I ended up with two bags full of reds from the last of those plants.

We hit the jackpot for eggs today!  The girls gave us three of them.

JB cooked one of the salmon fillets that were given to us at the BBQ.  So very good with butter, salt, pepper and sweet onions!

Monday 9/22. The first day of Fall and the forecast is for 92 degrees Down There!  Right now it is 62 and overcast Up Here.  I should be on my way in about an hour.

Thought for the day: Youth is a gift of nature.  Age is a work of art.


No comments:

Post a Comment