Friday, September 5, 2014

Sept 5, 2014 Jam, A Wallet & A County Fair

Rock formation seen on our Wednesday drive.





Wednesday 9/3. The wind blew til late afternoon and our high was 69.  This certainly has been the year of the wind.

When I was Down There yesterday, I bought a set of glass storage containers at Costco.  I had been thinking of replacing my 30 to 40-year-old Tupperware, but when I got an email from Sandy telling me that she had got rid of all her plastic food storage containers and replaced them with glass, I decided that I really needed to get off my patootie and do it also.

We took a drive in Miss Kitty around noon to check out one of the roads we had never been on and were gone for about an hour.  Talked to a young neighbor on the next canyon and advised him that the garbage strewn about his place was simply unacceptable.  You just do not do that to Mother Earth.  He apologized and promised to clean it up, but we'll see. . .

After lunch, I started the jam.  Have you ever tried to get all the bits and pieces out of a big bowl of elder berries, or better yet, tried to crush them?  I really need to get one of those funnel-shaped crushers.  Finally got the berries, sugar and vinegar into the pan and cooking.  The pectin-free recipe neglected to advise just how much longer this type of jam needed to be cooked.  Didn't say it would take twice as long!  During this whole process I discovered that my candy thermometer was defective, so I ended up with a batch of really thick elder berry goo.  I canned it anyway, hoping for the best.  The best may turn out to be elder berry candy.

We began watching the first season of Game of Thrones again, in preparation of watching the second season that I was able to get on Hastings web site for $15.

In talking to Larry on the radio this evening, we learned he has been called for jury duty and has to report tomorrow.  I will go in to their store to help Elsie til he is done.

Thursday 9/4. It was 47 and clear this morning.  I was on my way Down There at 8:45 am, but had to make three trips back inside to remember everything.  Just on of those days.

Went to the drive-up window for my latte and discovered that the person in front of me had paid for mine!  That has never happened to me before and was so very cool!

Larry was excused from jury duty and back to the store by noon.  When I got to my car, I realized that my wallet was not in my purse.  I looked everywhere possible and impossible that it might have fallen out of my purse in or around the car, and went back to the store to see if it was there.  No sign of it.  I was standing by my car thinking, "Ok, Lord.  I really need your help with this," when the locksmith car that had been parked there when I parked, drove up.  I heard a voice say, "I think I have something of yours."  Woo Hoo!  When I went back to tell them, Larry said I was so lucky.  I told him it had nothing to do with luck.  Being such a ditz, I have a very alert and active Guardian Angel.

I called JB and he suggested we still had time to go to the Chelan County Fair.  Today is Senior Day, so we get in free.  He drove Miss Kitty down to Larry's and Elsie's house, and I met him there.  Then off to the fair we went, which was about a 15 mile drive.  It was one of those perfect fair days and we had a great time.  Began talking to a lady at the Republican booth only to find out she is the Chelan County Assessor.  Had a very interesting discussion and got the card of someone else to talk to about our taxes at her office.  With lunch, music, goats, dollar-collecting American parakeets, and much more, it was a very entertaining afternoon.

Friday 9/5.  It is 53 and clear this morning, and getting very close to BBQ time.  So much to do to get ready for it.

Thought for the day: A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song.  Lou Holtz

1 comment:

  1. Hi Rose,
    Two of the best canning books I ever purchased are: Food in Jars and Preserving by the Pint. The author also has a website called Food in Jars that can answer lots of your questions. She cans in small batches which is also very helpful. Check out her website, I think you might find it helpful. I like just going to her site and seeing what she is up to. :)

    ReplyDelete