Monday, May 18, 2015

May 18, 2015 Birthday Musings


Flox and sweet peas - they're everywhere!
My birthday present from
Larry & Elsie!















Friday 5/15. So many and varied flowers on the drive down our road that it was difficult not to stop and take pictures every fifty feet!  The sweet peas are a vine flower and they have climbed into many of the bushes making them look like the bush has purple flowers.  Saw "our" blue grouse on the way down and a huge tom turkey on the way back up.  Couldn't get my camera out quickly enough to get a photo of either of them.

Was so nice to do shopping and errands without taking two hours or more for laundry, and was home by 2:00 pm.  Our high for the day Up Here was 64, but I am sure it was well into the 70's Down There.

Saturday 5/16. It was 55 and clear with a strong breeze this morning, but large, dark, scattered clouds soon starting floating overhead.  The sun shone most of the time and we only received about ten drops of moisture.  A great day to be outside, so our project for the day was to give the tractor an oil change.  We work well together on things like this, especially because my smaller hands fit into places that JB's don't.

Dozed on the porch to the hum of the humming birds.  Puttzed around the yard.  A very good day with a high of 67.

Still enjoying Elementary, season one.

Sunday 5/17. It was 46 and overcast as my 68th birthday began, and also my seventh anniversary of living Up Here.  Phone calls, visits, cards and gifts.  I love it all!

Mother Nature had the audacity to rain on my birthday parade.  But that's okay.  If it had been sunny, I probably would have found myself splitting wood or some such thing.  Instead I just lazed and mused:

68 years old and I feel as though surely that must be a mistake and I am only 48.  Granted an arthritic and grey 48, but 48 never the less, for where in the world did 68 years go?!  My Father and all four of my grandparents had passed on by this age.  And they all looked much older than I do now.  I think that after 50, age doesn't define you, at least as long as you don't let it.  And after 60, it simply does not compute.  Can't possibly be right.  At this point I don't think it is years that make the difference, but then maybe they never did.  It's all in one's attitude.  

Larry, Elsie, Gridder and his oldest son came up about 1:00 pm initially to help put the generator back in place, but they brought birthday goodies and stayed to visit for a couple hours.  The light rain only lasted for about an hour, so after Elsie and I talked for a while inside, we were soon outside, walking and talking with everyone else.  Our high for the day was 55.

After everyone left and into the night, we talked to our son for a few hours as he was on his ten-hour drive home from Texas after his Navy Reserve weekend.  Just before 9:00 pm a downpour began that lasted about an hour.  We received a total of 1/3" of rain yesterday.  But it was a very good day.

Monday 5/18. It is 51 and partly cloudy this morning.  Diving into another year.

Thought for the day: The older I grow, the more I distrust the familiar doctrine that age brings wisdom. H.L. Menchen

No comments:

Post a Comment