Wednesday, May 6, 2015

May 6, 2015 Wind & Snakes


The small rock wall I am building.




Monday 5/4. JB got on the road at 7:15 am, and I was too wide awake to go back to bed.  After making my coffee, feeding the girls and the dogs, and then eating my own breakfast, I sat on the porch.  So nice not to have a schedule.  JB can be quite the taskmaster who likes daily schedules, so it was nice to know that I didn't have to get started on the dishes at 9:30.  I could sit and snooze in the warm sun on the porch.  So I did.

JB arrived at his brother's house a little after 1:00 pm after dropping the generator off in Yakima to be repaired.  A very long drive.

About noon big, dark, fluffy clouds began drifting over from the west.  A few of them actually looked like they could shoot lightening, roar with thunder and drop buckets of rain, but none of them did.  However they did leave in their wake 15 mph wind gusts as they disappeared to the NE around 4:00 pm.

After lunch, and finally doing the dishes, I spent some time building a small rock wall on the south side of the house where the gravel is.  I used all of the rocks JB had dumped there and got almost half done.  Found devil's thorn growing there, so I pulled it and went on a concentrated hunt for more.  Fortunately the girls like it.  Mrs. Gridder said that their pygmy goats like it also, but she called it by its other name: goats head.  The makes those cute little kids sound a bit cannibalistic. . .

JB called again to let me know that his Mom's operation has been rescheduled from tomorrow to June 25!  Seems information got mixed up and they didn't take her off the right meds.  He is going to stay for the week anyway to visit and take her to some other appointments.

I saw a green racer snake on our morning walk, and later in the afternoon I saw a large bull snake near the wood by the splitter.  Will definitely be on the lookout for rattlers, although we have never seen one earlier that the first week in June.

I watched the movie Love Actually this evening, about twelve years late.  I had heard a lot about it, and it is just as good as everyone said it was.

Tuesday 5/5. It was 44 and mostly clear with wind gusting to 16 mph.

This is one of those mornings that I simply could not do Sudoku.  I always wonder what else I shouldn't be doing if I can't figure it out. . .

By 10:30 am when we braved the wind to go on a morning walk, it was gusting to 22 mph and was very cold.  Definitely an inside day, sun shining or not.  I started a book by John Sandford, Heat Lightening.  I always enjoy his books.

My friend, Jane, from N. Carolina called and we had a nice, long chat.  Then shortly afterwards my son called, on his hour-long drive home from work.

I got the laundry all bagged up and in the car and lists made for my trip Down There tomorrow.  Changed the covers on the living room furniture.

The wind had calmed down to about 15 mph by the time of our afternoon walk, although it was still very cold.  Saw a long snake the color of a rubber boa, but I didn't think they could move as fast as this one did.

I watched Guardians of the Universe this evening.  What fun!

Wednesday 5/6. This morning is 44 and clear with a light wind.  Hope to be on my way Down There by 9:00 am.

Thought for the day: If I were to name the three most precious resources of life, I should say books, friends and nature; and the greatest of these, at least the most constant and always at hand, is nature. John Burroughs

No comments:

Post a Comment