Friday, August 21, 2015

August 21, 2015 Clear Skies & Childhood Fears


A feather?
No, a twig from a fireweed plant that
has gone to seed.



Wednesday 8/19. In looking back on my life through the years of living it, I think that I put all my childhood fears and frustrations into one file marked "The Dentist."  Finally realized it's time to burn that folder.

We now have twenty people confirmed for our Rose Camp BBQ, with the possibility of 30!

By early afternoon the breeze had cleared out the smoke a bit, and by 5:00 pm the light breeze had increased to a wind gusting to 11 mph that completely got rid of the smoke.  All that was left was a wide swath of brown over the northern horizon.  Our high for the day was 85, but not too uncomfortable because of the breeze/wind.

I watched Guardians of the Galaxy for the fourth or fifth time this evening.  Definitely one of my all-time favorite fantasy movies.  Must be genetic because my 11-year-old Grandson loves it too, and watches it at least once a week.

During our nightly talk on the radio, Elsie told me about the three fire fighters who were killed today.  I vowed that I would much rather be surrounded by smoke than have the strong winds that are causing so much havoc with the fires.  

Thursday 8/20. It was 63 with clear skies this morning and the only smoke I could see was on the horizon to the north.  Unfortunately in Okanogan County, which is where the fire is, there is a wind advisory beginning this evening and all day tomorrow.  Could be gusts up to 50 mph.  All we can do is pray.

Meanwhile at Rose Camp, the girls love to eat bugs.  So I give them the ones that have drowned in the bird bath.  Blondie especially seems to enjoy them and tries to get them all first, as she does the bananas every morning.

Although I am obviously not going to get the bedroom painted, which was on my list of "big" things to do, I did in fact finish my list of little things to do.  This in addition to reading several books.  And today I split more wood.  Some before lunch and some after when the splitter was in the shade.  Then later I used our garden wagon to pull a couple of half-loads over to the wood shed and stack them.  With the lovely, cool breeze, I didn't even break a sweat.  I guess I really have gotten used to the warm weather as the temperature had climbed to our high of 83.

I don't know about other people, but I will be going along with life when something "clicks" and slightly adjusts my perception of things.  This happened to me last week, as it seems to once or twice a year.  I think this may have been why found my "Dentist folder" and "burned" it, then breezed through my dentist appointment so easily.  Succeeding in facing some of my fears and getting rid of them.

I picked two ripe Hillbilly tomatoes, which are heirlooms, and had a most wonderful BLT for dinner.  I am sure that some of the moisture dripping as I ate was not just tomato juice but also drool. . . 

By sunset a line of clouds stretching north and south was marching slowly eastward reflecting the pick rays of the disappearing sun.

 Friday 8/21. This morning is a crisp 53 with clouds along the mountains, but otherwise clear skies.

Thought for the day: It was something every child knew how to do, maintain a direct and full connection with the world.  Somehow you forgot about it as you grew up, and had to learn it again. Jeffrey Eugenides





No comments:

Post a Comment