Monday, August 31, 2015

August 31, 2015 Rain & A Fish Fry

Lovely, lovely clouds



Friday 8/28. It was sprinkling again when I went out to feed the girls.  Rain drops never felt so good!  But on mornings like this it is hard to wake up.  I think that subconsciously my brain has come to the conclusion that I cannot go outside and work, so I might as well go back to bed.

The light rain lasted less than an hour, and the sun was peeking through the clouds now and then by 11:00 am.  I thought if I hung the laundry out, that might lure more rain.  No such luck.  And, looking at the ground, there was no evidence that we had had any rain at all.

Since it was so overcast, I put the rose hips I had picked yesterday in the oven instead of the dehydrator.

After lunch I started to weed one of the raised beds, but the overcast was beginning to break up, and half way through I found myself in the sun.  So I went over to the splitter, which was in the shade, and split and stacked two tractor bucket loads of wood.  Still have 2-1/4 large rounds left.

In anticipation of more rain tomorrow, I swept out both drains before dinner.  Our high for the day was a comfortable 72.  Walking out on the porch after dinner, I startled six grouse in the yard - four on my Jeep, one on the ground and one on the bird bath!

Saturday 8/29. It was 58 and partly cloudy this morning.  I could smell smoke when I let the dogs out at 5:30, but there was no air movement.  When I got up at 8:00 am, there was a breeze blowing in from the southwest and I could no longer smell the smoke, but it was thick to the north.  Very quickly the breeze became a wind and brought in a few drops of rain.  By 9:00 am it was gusting to 30 mph, bringing in more rain and whipping the needles of the trees.  The rain was such a glorious sight that we just stood and watched it for a while.  Except that now my Jeep is almost clean!

I turned on the oven for my morning waffles and forgot to take out the pan of rose hips.  By the time I remembered them, they smelled like raspberries.  Interesting. . .

There are some very good articles in the October issue of Cowboys & Indians.  Which brings me to the question of why do magazines get so far ahead of themselves in their issues?  We receive the October one in August?  Granted, it comes out every other month, but still. . .

By noon it was hard to tell that we had received any rain at all, but the air still smelled of it.  The cloud cover split, as it often does, and the rest of the rain was blown to the north and south of us.  I gathered several armloads of kindling-sized branches that a strong wind always managed to blow off the trees.  And I took several bag loads of fir cones to the swale.  Our high for the day was 70, but the wind was chilly.

That was enough of being out in the wind, so I completely defrosted and scrubbed out the refrigerator and freezer.  A lovely job. . .

Tomorrow Larry and Elsie are having their third annual fish fry and we can't wait!  Always so much fun, good food and laughter.

Sunday 8/30. It was 50 and overcast this morning.  It had rained for while around 5:00 am and smelled so fresh, but still windy.

We just did indoor chores, read books and went on our windy walks.  I baked some brownies to take with us this evening.  (I always bring the chocolate.)

We left in Miss Kitty at 5:00 pm and picked up the mail before going to Larry and Elsie's.  There were eleven of us for dinner, and another neighbor from town stopped by afterwards on his way up to camp for the night with two of his sons.  Again, so much good food and companionship.  Almost everyone there will be at our BBQ next Sunday.  Elsie had said that she didn't know what army she was cooking for, so we all left with bags of fish.

Monday 8/31. It is 50, overcast and blustery again this morning.  Sounds like a lot of the rain has gone north where it is so badly needed on the fires.  Even so, it was announced that they will burn until it snows.

Thought for the day: The secret of contentment. . . lay in ignoring many things completely. Mark Haddon

No comments:

Post a Comment