Monday, March 28, 2016

March 28, 2016 Easter Treats & A Rescued Miss Kitty

Candy Easter baskets that I
made on Saturday.

Jesse & Dinga patiently
waiting while we work
on Miss Kitty.
The first balsam root!














Friday 3/25. So it was back down to Miss Kitty today in an effort to free her.  We walked down, as the chain had come off of MAX just as JB was parking him yesterday.  Still could not get the linkage to move from high gear to neutral, so we could not get Miss Kitty started.  It works if we could rock her back and forth, but we couldn't even do that. . .

I finished What Happened to Anna K.?  Just as depressing as the original, but much easier to read.  So my choice for movie tonight was Anna Karenina, which we have had for almost a year but just never watched.  I really didn't care for the "artsy" way in which it was presented.  The acting was good, but it didn't really bring out Anna.  Was more like a very short Cliff Notes version.  You really had to have read the book to get it, and JB hadn't, so I had to explain a lot of things to him.  Now I am done with her for a long while.

It was a sunny but breezy day with a high of 44.  And the girls are still giving us one egg a day.

Saturday 3/26. It was 33 and overcast this morning, but there was no wind.  It is definite that we will not be going over the mountains for the family Easter dinner.  So now that we had finally decided that, I figured it was time for Miss Kitty to come home.

In one of my magazines that I brought up last Wednesday, there was an article about different things to put on one's toast.  It began by saying, "If you are getting tired of avocado on your toast, try these."  I guess I am way behind on such trends because I had never heard of that.  Fortunately I had purchased a couple of avocados.  Oh, my!  That is so good!

After breakfast I made four little candy Easter baskets I had learned how to make by watching a video on Facebook.  They turned out quite well, which just added to the disappointment of not going to the family dinner.  Oh well. . .

We put the chain back on MAX before lunch, then drove down to Miss Kitty after we had eaten.  I figured for sure we would get her unstuck today, but no such luck.  So JB drove us back home, and once again, MAX's chain came off as he was parking.  Well, we are not going to try to move or fix anything tomorrow.  It's Easter and will be a day off!

I was just about to feed the dogs at 3:30 pm when they started barking and whining as if Buster had come for a visit.  I looked out and there was a black and white dog coming up the driveway, with Miss Kitty right behind!  Gridder had heard that Miss Kitty was belly-panned and decided to come see if he could help.  He, a friend, and Gridder's dog drove up in Gridder's old Jeep, that can go anywhere, and they were actually able to get Miss Kitty in gear and drive her home.  God bless caring neighbors!  We invited them in and had a very nice visit.  I sent two of the Easter baskets home for Gridder's sons.

Sunday 3/27. Easter began with a temp of 34, partly cloudy skies and a wind gusting to 17 mph.  So very nice to know that we do not have to go out again to work on getting Miss Kitty unstuck.

I called Sandy and we talked for almost an hour.  Always a great start to any day.

The sun shone all day and the wind gusts grew to 24 mph.  The dogs and I braved the wind to go on our morning walk.  There is a lot more melting going on.  The snow is all gone from the top of the south ridge.  I would say we can see about 1/3 of the bare ground now.  Still lots of places on the north slope where our house is that the snow is a foot deep.  But I saw the first balsam root plant popping up through the ground!  And there are a lot of green shoots sprouting that I think will be yellow bells.

We roasted two chickens for Easter dinner.  (No, not our girls.)  JB put rosemary on his and I sprinkled onion, garlic and smoked paprika on mine.  Both were very good.  Will be putting a lot of cooked chicken in the freezer tomorrow.

Even with the wind, it was a beautiful day.  Our high was 44, although it didn't feel nearly that warm.  We spent most of the day inside anyway.  And the Easter baskets were delicious!

Monday 3/28. It is 30, overcast and windy this morning.  Looks like it is raining in town and snowing in the mountains.  I thought March was supposed to go out like a lamb. . .

Thought for the day: It's a funny thing about life.  If you refuse to accept anything but the best, you very often get it.  Somerset Maugham

No comments:

Post a Comment