Wednesday, August 17, 2016

August 17, 2016 More Heat & No Cataract Surgery

More of Saturday's
sunset.



Monday 8/15. Another inside day just trying to stay cool.  Finished the first Mitford book and started the second.  

Had a nice long chat with Randy.  Am going to send him all the DVD's I was going to trade in at Hastings, as he hasn't seen any of them.  Will send the first box tomorrow when I go Down There.

Last night Larry told us that when he was mowing their lawn yesterday, he saw a big ol' rattlesnake.  He took after it on his riding lawn mower and it disappeared into a haze of red.  He had just put a new mulcher on the mower, so the pieces were so tiny that the yellow jackets could barely find them.

The crickets have begun their evening songs in the past week or two, and the grasshoppers seem to be more lively every day.  But the song birds have all but disappeared.  We have a couple of blue jays Up Here off and on, but their squawking hardly qualifies as a song.

So far we have 18 people coming to our Labor Day weekend BBQ, with the possibility of more than 30.  Probably won't know for sure until they all start arriving.  I do hope the weather will cool off by then.  Today's high was a very uncomfortable 86.

Tuesday 8/16. It was 64 and clear again this morning.  I didn't have to leave until 11:00 am, which gave me time to do a couple errands before my 1:00 pm eye appointment.  I mailed Randy's first package, and dropped off several sacks at the thrift store, then went in to look for more books.  I found another one by Jan Karon, and bought four more by other authors. Their prices have gone by by $.50, but still such a good deal.

The temp Down There had to be well into the 90's and I was right in the middle of it.  Didn't get home til a little before 3:00 pm, and our high Up Here was 88.  I think I am about to melt.  But I do not need cataract surgery, despite the blurry vision in my right eye.  It may be another year, or two or three.

I remembered the apple juice this trip, so I plan to can apple pie filling tomorrow.  In the morning.  Before the heat really hits.  It is supposed to be hot through the weekend.

Wednesday 8/17. It is 64 and clear with a breeze this morning.  Am going to get the apple pie filling done first thing.

Thought for the day: I like a bit of a mongrel myself, whether man or beast.  They're the best for every day.  George Bernard Shaw

No comments:

Post a Comment