Wednesday, August 31, 2016

August 31, 2016 A Doctor's Visit, House-sitting & Cleaning Up


JB starting to cut the bushes
a few weeks ago.

How it looks today,
more than 1/2 done.











Friday 8/26. After washing the dishes and hanging out the laundry, I took JB Down There to the clinic to have his left swollen and sore elbow looked at.  Seems it is an infection of his bursa sac.  We were soon on our way home with an antibiotic and pain pills in hand.

The meds knocked him for a loop and he slept most of the afternoon.  The trip wore me out and I took a shorter nap.

Our high for the day was 80.

Saturday 8/27. It was 64 and overcast this morning with a strong breeze.  The cloud cover soon began to slowly drift off to the east, with blue sky following from the west.

JB went back to bed after his weekly 8:30 am call from his Mom, and slept til noon.  Then he took another long nap after lunch.  Just perfect for fighting off his infection and resting his elbow.

I cut out more bushes where we had been working, but with the wind gusting to 18, I didn't stay out for long.  It raced through the trees, littering the ground with needles.  Our high for the day was 77.

This certainly is the summer for elder berries and rose hips.  Every elder berry bush has its branches drooping with the weight of the berries, and there are new bushes everywhere.  Not sure if I am going to make time to pick any in September when they will be ripe.

Sunday 8/28. It was 54 and partly cloudy this morning with much less of a breeze.  I left at 12:30 pm to house-sit for Larry and Elsie.  She told me to help myself to the few blueberries on some bushes, so I grazed them for lunch.

I always take a project of some sort with me when I house-sit, and this time it was a stack of older (back to 2010) Entertainment Weekly magazines.  I subscribe in order to keep up with movies and TV series, and have saved most of them for reference.  Well, I just needed to go through them all and write down the movies and series that we would like to get.  So now I have a big stack for recycle.

I also brought the book I had started, What Matters Most by Luanne Rice.  Oh, my!  I have found another favorite author.  Couldn't put it down, and finished it today.  A bit like Jan Karon's books.

A little after 4:00 pm, I glanced up and saw a bear coming down the canyon across the road.  It looked like it was on its way to the ponds but I couldn't get my camera out quickly enough to get a picture.

Of course, I watched TV this evening, and actually stayed up til 11:00 pm.

Monday 8/29. It was a very smokey 64 this morning and partly cloudy.  Elsie had told me to help myself to various fruits and vegetables, so I picked some apples, took a few potatoes they had dug up and picked a little bag of blueberries.

Their dogs had let me sleep all night til 7:30 am, so then I just stayed up.  They slept in the bedroom in their beds on the floor, while the cats took turns sleeping on the bed with me.

I stayed til 3:00 pm, knowing that Larry and Elsie would be home around 5:30.  Then drove down to get the mail; met a neighbor on the way up; and was home a little before 4:00 pm.

The swelling on JB's elbow has gone down considerably and he is feeling much better.

Our high Up Here today was 79.

Tuesday 8/30. It was 60 and mostly overcast this morning.  Still a little hazy, but we couldn't smell any smoke.

We put our plans down on paper for getting ready for the BBQ on Saturday, and started on the list.  JB put up two yellow jacket traps.  I raked the horseshoe pits and did some weeding.  JB is still napping everyday, but feeling so much better and using his arm just a bit.

There was very little air movement today and the air was muggy, but our high was only 77.  It sure felt warmer than that.  The sun managed to peek through the clouds a few times, but the sky stayed overcast all day.  Days like this just seem to sap your energy.

Wednesday 8/31. It is 52 with clear skies this morning.  Rain is in the forecast for Thursday and Friday, but sunny weather is promised for the weekend.

Thought for the dayThe oak sleeps in the acorn, the bird waits in the egg, and in the highest vision of the soul a waking angel stirs.  James Allen

No comments:

Post a Comment