Monday, August 8, 2016

August 8, 2016 More Wood, Pie Filling & No Politics

Beans I picked last
Thursday.

JB cutting the huge fir
trunk rounds.











Friday 8/5. I went to the estate sale, Hastings and ran errands, but didn't hit the downtown sidewalk sale.  It seems that the house where the estate sale is being held was owned by a woman who was quite the hoarder.  When they first entered her house, each room was stacked to the ceiling with boxes and just a small aisle to walk through.  This was the fourth weekend of the sale and they still have to sort through half the basement and the garage!  Amazing how a person would need all that "stuff" to feel secure.  But Elsie had mentioned that if I did go again, to look for wine glasses as she keeps breaking hers.  I found six very nice ones and took them to her at their shop.  It was perfect timing as today was their wedding anniversary.

Speaking of stuff, I walked up and down every aisle of movies in Hastings and was able to find twelve used movies and the first season of Arrow all at 40% off.

I was home around 1:00 pm and stepped inside the house to the wonderful smell of banana muffins in the oven.  Mmmmm!  I ate lunch and took a nap, falling asleep to that heavenly scent.

Had a nice long talk with Randy.  Even though he has all his wood in, he is always busy with other things to do.  Just the way it is living on a mountain.

Our high for the day was 88, but it sure didn't seem that hot.  Guess I am finally getting used to the heat.

Saturday 8/6. It was 54 and clear this morning.  Right after breakfast we cut the stack of long, split wood from last year with the chop saw.  After lunch I moved it to wood shed in 1-1/2 bucket loads and stacked it.

Then JB cut the huge, long fir trunk piece into four pieces.  That took quite a while as it was almost two feet in diameter.  Tomorrow he plans to cut the other two, but shorter, big pieces in half and move them all to the splitter.

Our high for the day was 79 with a cool breeze.  Very pleasant.  But by 9:00 pm it was quite dark outside.  I could swear it wasn't that dark that early last night.  It just kind of sneaks up on you.

Sunday 8/7. It was 54 and clear again this morning.  Another brown egg was waiting for me as usual when I gave the girls their breakfast.

I got busy early and canned four pints of blueberry pie filling.  It turned out SO good!  While I was doing that, BJ cut the other two huge trunk pieces in half and moved them all to the splitter.

After lunch I split two of the rounds, which was much easier than the pine.  JB moved the wood to the shed and I stacked it, finishing the sixth row.  I thought that is all we would have room for, but I moved a few things around and now have room for a seventh row which I started.  We may not have enough wood to finish that row and also stack wood on the porch, but we will see.  Won't start stacking on the porch until after our Rose Camp BBQ on September 4.

We also tilted the solar panels half-way down.  Tilting them is always a marker of the time of year it is, and I have a hard time believing that it is that late already.

I love the fact that my day can consist of both canning pie filling, and then splitting and stacking wood!  I am so definitely where I belong.  

I would like to write more about our political situation, but I just can't go down that road today.  However I will quote from a posting on Facebook.  The caption on photos of both the presidential candidates: "316 million people and we picked these two?  Way to go America."  Nuff said.

Monday 8/8. It is 50 with some high, wispy clouds this morning and 20% chance of rain.

Thought for the day: I already hate our next President.  (Seen on a T-shirt.)

No comments:

Post a Comment