Wednesday, August 3, 2016

August 3, 2016 Cooler Temps & GMO's

Our huge dying pine tree.




Monday 8/1. JB moved the wood to the shed that I had split on Saturday and mowed in a few places around the house.  After I hung out the laundry, we moved another pile of large branches to the cradle.  After lunch he cut two cradle-loads of wood and then I split two large rounds.

Today was the first day in a while that I took the dogs on both their morning and afternoon walk.  It was very comfortable with a high of just 76.

After dinner we moved all the wood we had cut and split to the wood shed in five loads.  Then we moved the next to the last pile of large branches to the cradle.  After that I stacked all the wood.  Almost finished with the fifth row.

Just a day or two ago we both noticed that our largest pine tree is dead.  Its needles had turned orange very quickly.  Since the spruce beetle is killing just fir trees, we think this tree died due to the extended drought.  It will be a lot of good fire wood, but I sure hate to see it go.  It is just across the driveway by the splitter, and has to be at least 70 feet tall.

Yesterday I had a nice long talk with Randy.  My Aunt Nene, her son and daughter-in-law arrived in Bonner's Ferry on Saturday, and after an eight-hour drive, came to visit him.  Nene was just as perky as ever and they had a very nice time.  And no wonder - they saw a moose along the highway a little before getting into town!  I certainly hope they got a picture of it.  I am so envious. . .

This evening I finished reading a book by one of my favorite authors, The Gods of Guilt by Michael Connelly.  A Lincoln Lawyer book and excellent, as usual.

Tuesday 8/3. It was 58 and clear this morning, with a breeze that gradually increased in strength all day until it was gusting to 19 mph by the time we went for our afternoon walk.

I split wood before and after lunch.  I felt like I spent most of my time just wrestling the rounds as they were from the part of the pine tree with very large branches.  That makes them very difficult to split, so there is a pile of knots that I still have to deal with.

JB moved a pile of wood to the shop from last year that is too long for the wood stove.  We are going to cut it with the chop saw.  Then he moved the wood I had split to the shed and I stacked it.  I have a good start on the sixth and last row.

Last Friday I mentioned to Mrs. Gridder that I would be looking for a push mower at the garage sales.  She said that they had one that they don't use any  more and would be glad to loan it to us on a permanent basis.  I used it today and it works fine.  Just takes a little more effort, but no fuel other than my muscles.

There is an excellent article in the Sept/Oct issue of Countryside magazine about GMO's.  I think they are very brave to print it, as so many homesteaders seem to be against GMO's.  The article has obviously been well researched,  backs everything up with facts, and basically supports the concept, while admitting that everyone has to make up their own mind about it.  

I had been on the slightly negative side, but never did much research into it.  Now I think I am a bit more open to the concept and what is trying to be done, although I can certainly understand the misgivings that many people have.  It seems to be kind of a time-will-tell situation.  But it is amazing how many crops have already been saved through bio-engineering, which is not quite the same thing as genetically modified.  This is an article that really needs to be read by anyone who has any doubts or concerns about the issue.

Wednesday 8/3. It is 50 and clear this morning with no breeze.  A good day to work outside.

Thought for the day: Men will get no more out of life than they put into it.  Rev. William J. Boetcker

No comments:

Post a Comment