Monday, September 12, 2016

September 12, 2016 Cooking, Canning & Reconnecting

The bull snake


Friday 9/9. I was on my way Down There at 9:30 am, as I absolutely had to get to the post office today.  I ran a couple other errands and was back home again by noon.  Driving through the "tunnel" it seemed as though all the little trees that were behind the ones I had cut yesterday had begun to lean over the road!  I definitely have to cut them back, but not for a day or two.

After lunch I split the junk wood that I had left to dry and one small round, then rearranged the porch so I could stack it on the south end.  Since it would be only one tractor bucket full, I just carried the wood to the porch in several arm loads.  Got it stacked and thought I would just relax for the rest of the day, but then remembered that the wood stove really needed to be cleaned out.  Always such a lovely chore.  Doesn't how much I concentrate on not touching my face, I always end up with black smudges on it. . .

Our high for the day was 69 with a light breeze, and the sky remained clear.

Saturday 9/10. It was 60 and clear this morning, which is really much warmer than it has been.  After JB called at 9:00 am, I called Sandy and we had a nice, long chat.  A perfect morning for sitting on the porch and talking to her.

On our morning walk, the dogs and I discovered a bull snake on the south ridge sunning himself.  He was about two feet long and in no mood to move.  Both dogs sniffed him, realizing that he was not a rattler.

There has been a large flock of grouse in the bushes of the south ridge for the past several days.  Every time we walk up there the dogs flush them out, and quite often right in front of me.

Wanting to give my muscles a rest, I spent most of the afternoon making and canning seven pints of apple pie filling with the apples I picked from Elsie's tree.  They are fairly tart, but the filling turn out quite delicious and will be perfect in JB's Mom's recipe for fruit coffee cake.

The wind swept in this afternoon, gusting to 16 mph and supposedly bringing in a cold front.  But our high for the day was 81 and the wind was quite warm.

Around 4:00 pm my phone rang.  It was a cousin with whom I had lost touch in the past several years!  She had found me on Facebook a couple weeks ago and I had given her my phone number.  We had a wonderful chat, catching up with each other and various family members.  

Sunday 9/11. It was 49 with clear skies and a cool breeze gusting to 12 mph as this sad day of remembrance began.

With three dozen eggs in the refrigerator, and more on the way, I made custard to use up some of them.  It is, after all, my favorite of desserts.  As soon as it came out of the oven, I ate two little dishes of it!  Tomorrow I think I will make some tapioca or rice pudding.

By noon clouds were drifting in from the mountains, and our high for the day was 69.  A very comfortable day that I spent mainly inside.  I got started on Nicholas Sparks' A Walk To Remember and could not put it down.  Halfway through I knew how it was going to end and my tears splashed on the last of the pages.  Phenomenal!

However, I did take time out for a nap.  Oh, how I love my naps!

The flock of grouse were gone today.  Probably got tired of being rousted and moved on.

Monday 9/12. It is 47 and mostly cloudy this morning.  A bit chilly inside too, so I put a fire in the wood stove.

Thought for the day: Stay away from negative people.  They have a problem for every solution.  Author Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment