Monday, September 26, 2016

September 26, 2016 My Dream Tree and Eggs Under the Bed

My Dream Tree!

RJ's cabin in progress.


Fireweed along our road
sporting its Fall colors.











Friday 9/23. I left for Down There in a misty rain that continued to fall all morning.  Fortunately it stopped a few minutes before I left for home, so I didn't have to get wet while picking Elsie's tomatoes.

After taking the summer off, Belinda decided to lay an egg again so we got five eggs yesterday.  We are averaging three a day, with sometimes four and occasionally two.  The refrigerator was overflowing with three dozen, so I have begun to put them under the bed.  As we get down to one dozen in the fridge, I will pull another dozen out.

Our high for the day was a wet 54.

Saturday 9/24. The day began with a temp of 43 and partly cloudy skies.  I bought longer concrete bolts yesterday for my Dream Tree, so that was our major project for the day.  We really did not have the right type of bit for the drill, so drilling a hole through each leg and then into the concrete took longer than we had anticipated.  But we got it done, and now I can enjoy my tree.

It was well into the afternoon when we finished, then JB started cleaning out MAX while I went down to visit RJ and see what he has been doing on his cabin.  Just went I think his place is amazing, he does something to amp up the WOW factor.  He has completely rebuilt his stone fireplace and extended his living room to include a door to his root cellar that had been accessible only from the outside.  And he has started another addition.

In talking with Elsie this evening, we learned that their little dog had a run-in with a skunk last night.  So she was up at 11:00 pm scrubbing him and trying not to puke.  I guess the smell was exceptionally nasty. . .

Sunday 9/25. It was 50 and partly cloudy this morning, with a few warm days in the forecast.  But I had a lot of indoor things to do, and JB was taking the day off from straining his elbows and knees yesterday working on my tree.

After dishes and more laundry (trying to get it all done before I leave on Tuesday), I made sauce from the tomatoes I picked at Elsie's on Friday.  It turned out very good, but with all the work involved and so little to show for it, I think this will be my last time doing so.  I am going to freeze this batch, like I did my first one.

I did get out in the afternoon to enjoy our high of 73.  I gathered some more kindling from down the west ridge and took the dogs on their walk.  And then took a lovely nap before dinner.

The wasps were swarming today, a week or two late.  I hope they don't discover any new cracks.  We only had a very few get inside last year.

Monday 9/26. It is 54 with some high, thin clouds.  Time to pack.

This will be my last posting until next Monday, 10/3, as I will be visiting my Aunt Nene on the other side of the mountains.

Thought for the day: One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce, and canonized those who complain. Thomas Sowell

No comments:

Post a Comment