Monday, January 9, 2017

January 9, 2017 More Snow, Arctic Temps in Laramie, & Visitors

My refrigerator in front of
the bedroom window that
is open about 2".  I refer
to our bedroom as our
walk-in fridge.

The vehicle in which our
visitors arrived.

One of my stocking presents
from Santa Nene that is
just too cool to open!
(It is dark chocolate,
caramel & almonds)
















Friday 1/6. The fog made it feel even colder than zero.  I can really feel the difference when it gets down into the single digits.  A fine, light snow began to fall mid morning, replacing the fog.  By 1:00 pm, the sun had broken through the clouds to the south, but it was still snowing.  Then, when the clouds moved in to cover the sun, the snow stopped falling.  Go figure.  Our high for the day was just 8.

I shouldn't complain about our temps.  We know a couple who live in Laramie, WY, and their official temp for this morning was -37!  A friend of ours did military training in the arctic where it was -40 and he said that at 40 below everything immediately freezes when it hits the air.  You can tell it is 40 below by spitting.  The spit will freeze with a snap before it hits the ground.  That temp is also where Fahrenheit and Celsius meet.

I started a new book today, Paper Towns, by John Green, who also wrote The Fault in Our Stars.  It is very hard to put this book down.

I also baked some corn muffins.  Since we have had to go gluten free, I have had a hard time making corn bread.  It tastes okay, but it just won't rise.  The muffins are a completely different recipe and they turned out great.  It called for 1-1/2 cups of flour, so I used 1 cup of brown rice flour and 1/2 cup of Bob's Red Mill All Purpose Gluten Free flour.

We started watching the first season of Fargo this evening.  Very well done.

Saturday 1/7. It was 6 degrees and overcast this morning, with just a trace of new snow.

Our supplies of perishable foods is dwindling.  The girls are down to their last banana and we are using powdered milk.  But the girls still have some apples, and I may open a can of green beans for them.  We have months and months to go before we get low on non-perishables.

I started working on Elsie's birthday present today.  Having lots of fun with it (them).  Her birthday is the end of this month.

Snow began to fall again around 1:00 pm, and shortly after that, we had visitors.  Mr. Sixes, and his oldest son, and Mr. Gridder, and his two sons, arrived in Mr. Sixes' big side-by-side.  He had those triangular tracks put on it and this was their maiden voyage.  He had no problem at all getting up to our place!  I made hot chocolate for the boys and we had a good visit.

Our high for the day was 12 and the snow stopped falling around 8:00 pm.

JB has had an queasy stomach for the past few days, and this evening he threw up, the urge coming on quite suddenly.  I can only think that it was something he ate.

Sunday 1/8. It was 14 and overcast this morning, with 2" of new snow.  JB stayed in bed when I got up and fed all the animals.  Then Dinga and I trudged up to the panels and cleaned them off.

I finished the third row of fire wood this morning and started on the fourth.  With as cold as it has been, I think we are doing very well.  We still have four rows left, as well as the wood on the porch, and all the branch wood.

JB was doing better this morning.  He just took it easy.  Stayed inside, drank lots of peppermint/chamomile tea, and napped.  I worked some more on Elsie's birthday present.

With all this snow, even walking on the pathways is like walking in the sand.  So, even though I am not walking as far, I am getting good exercise.

I finished the book by John Green.  Wow!  No wonder it won the Edgar award.

Our high for the day was 16, with even warmer temps in the forecast along with more snow.

Monday 1/9. We are having a heat wave this morning!  It is 26 degrees, overcast with a breeze and several inches of new snow.

Thought for the day: The key to aging is not to mourn what is lost, but to celebrate what remains; not to identify with limitation, but rather with possibility.  Marc Middleton

No comments:

Post a Comment