Friday, May 18, 2018

May 18, 2018 A Birthday, An Anniversary, Flamingos & A Thunderstorm

The card from Aunt Nene. . .
. . . & the gift from Larry
& Elsie!
Bear grass & Douglas
tritaria on the south ridge.















Wednesday 5/16. I was out the door by 9:30 am with plenty of time to run errands before my doctor's appointment, and was able to enjoy a leisurely lunch at Taco Time.  Met my new doctor and am so very pleased!  It took me a little longer to get home, as I had locked my keys in the car (second time this year) and had to wait for a tow-truck driver to come unlock it (thank goodness for AAA).

Such a large variety of flowers on the drive back up the mountain.  The trillium are gone now and the balsam root are fading, but the flox, sweet peas and lupine are taking over.  I even saw one paintbrush.  I keep forgetting to mention all the bear grass that is blooming on our south ridge, and that is the only place on the mountain that I have seen it.

As I drove up to about 3000 ft on our road, I noticed smoke to the west.  Definitely a fire.  I called it in but had to leave a message.  Elsie gave me another number to call when I arrived home and was told that the Forest Service knew about it and firefighters had just arrived on the scene.  They quickly got it under control.

The swallowtail butterflies have arrived and are enjoying the wildflowers and my domestic ones.  A pair of wrens are moving into the Montana birdhouse, and another pair seems interested in the bear.

Large thunderclouds moved to the south of us and a few to the north.  Our high for the day was 76 with a strong breeze.

Thursday 5/17.  My 71st birthday began with a temperature of 58, clear skies and a breeze.  Sandy called with birthday wishes and we had a nice chat.  I had to go down there again today for my annual mammogram.  It was either today or the end of July, so I just got it over with.  Also stopped by Costco to get a few items including a package of two whole chickens that I want to try roasting on my new beer roaster.

Wild roses are blooming down at the bottom of the canyon, but our bushes don't even have buds yet.  And the huge old lilac bush down in the meadow is blooming now.  That bush must be older than I am.

I was home by noon and spent most of the rest of the day just enjoying life from my porch.  The sun was shining and our high was 72.  Such a great birthday!  

Since today was my birthday, it is also my anniversary of living Up Here.  My tenth anniversary.  Hard to believe it has been that long.  This is the longest I have lived in one house.  Such an adventure it has been and continues to be.  This is the first year I can actually sit on the porch for more than ten minutes without getting up to do something.  Must be getting older.

Larry and Elsie came up late this afternoon with a gift.  My Aunt Nene had sent me a birthday card with flamingos on it and they bought me a yard flamingo!  A very fancy flamingo.  We had a great visit, as we always do.

Dark thunderclouds had begun to move in from the northeast by the time they left and the noise began a few hours later along with the pouring rain.  And I do mean pouring!  We received .87" in two hours.  It stopped for a while but then rained most of the night.  It was such a deluge that some gravel that had been spread on the road just above Larry and Elsie's place was washed down to them!

Friday 5/18. It is 49 and still raining hard this morning.  By 7:00 am we had received an inch of rain, and there is more in the forecast.

Thought for the day: Birthdays - better than the alternative.


No comments:

Post a Comment