Monday, May 7, 2018

May 7, 2018 Rain, Flowers & A Birthday

Part of the purple carpet in
our grove (dwarf waterleaf).
Pink trillium & yellow
shooting star flowers
along our road.















Friday 5/4. I hung the wash outside this morning.  Gathered lots of branch wood and stacked it in the shed.

Everything is covered in orange pollen!  I think it is from the pine trees and seems to be early this year.  But then, everything seems to be early with the warm temperatures we have been experiencing.  It also seems to be the year of the fir cone.  They are everywhere and seeds from them are constantly floating down from the trees.  Wish we could sell the cones, we'd make a mint.

JB finally decided that he knew what part Miss Kitty needed and ordered it from Spokane.  It should be here by Tuesday.

The sky was overcast by 4:00 pm, but no moisture fell and our high for the day was 72.

Saturday 5/5. It was 52 and mostly overcast this morning.  Very dark clouds moved in yesterday afternoon, but it didn't rain until about 4:30 am.  I was up and waiting for Jesse to come back in, when there was suddenly a thunderous noise as a squall moved in with pouring rain.  It only lasted about 30 seconds, and Jesse made it inside before getting too wet.  Rain is in the forecast for the next several days.

I love sitting on the porch with my morning coffee, listening to all the birdsong, and watching the humming birds.  The wars over the feeders have begun.  We also have lots of robins this Spring, and I think one of their nests in the grove.

We took the tracks off of MAX this morning, along with three wheels.  Having a bit of trouble getting the other three off.  When we are successful with that, we will replace the broken axle.

Again, I gathered more branch wood that I could break for kindling and stacked it in the wood shed.

The sky remained mostly overcast all day and we received a sprinkling of rain around 5:00 pm.  Our high for the day was 62 - very pleasant.

Sunday 5/6. It was 56 and mostly cloudy this morning.

After lunch I drove down to the Gridders'.  Their two boys are the same age as our grandchildren within just weeks, so I have pretty much adopted them as "grandchildren" I can be around.  The youngest one's birthday was last week and the oldest one's is in nine days.  Instead of buying them separate gifts this year, I bought them one to share: a Darth Vader toaster!  It looks like Darth Vader's helmet and burns the words "Star Wars" into the toast!  They thought it was pretty cool and immediately fixed some toast.  Even their Dad wanted some.  I stayed for almost two hours and completely enjoyed myself.  Dark clouds moved it, but it didn't start raining until after I had picked up the mail and was on my way home.

On my drive down, I discovered one little patch of yellow flowers by our road that look like our pink shooting starts.  I stopped to photograph them and the pink trillium growing amongst them.  I LOVE SPRING!!

We completely forgot about Cinco de Mayo yesterday, so this evening we had nachos and margaritas while watching the start of the fourth season of Fringe, or as I often refer to it as, Needles Are Us.

The light rain continued most of the evening.  I sat out on the porch for a while before dinner to enjoy it.  I love my porch!

My Aunt Nene is having laproscopic surgery on Tuesday, 5/8.  She is 92 years old so any and all prayers for her would be appreciated.

Monday 5/7. It is 52 and mostly overcast this morning, with a slice of blue sky on the western horizon.

Thought for the day: It came to me that every time I lose a dog, they take a piece of my heart with them.  And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart.  If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are.  Janice Milem, All Creatures Magazine, May/June 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment