Monday, January 14, 2019

January 14, 2019 Fog & Rime, Sun & A Howling Wolf

Heavy rime on long
pine needles.



Friday 1/11. So that's how well a clean wood stove works!  With just a regular fire, we got it so warm inside we almost had to open a window.

Always so many things to do in January and often so many left undone.  Sometimes it makes me feel like the tall, very slender pine tree up on the east slope that I can see from my chair at the table.  There are great clumps of needles at the top that become heavy with rime and cause the top to bend over quite a ways, looking as though it might snap.  But it never does.  And this year it looks like I may just finish the list!

As the day warmed, much of the rime turned to water droplets hanging from bushes and tree branches.  The fog cleared to the north around 2:30 pm to reveal a heavy overcast sky.  The fog also began to clear in the west and south, so the dogs and I went on our afternoon walk.  Our high for the day was just 34, and while walking, I noticed that many of the droplets had frozen again. From rime to water to ice.  The long pine needles tend to hold the rime much better than the short fir needles which hold the snow better.

I worked in the loft, sorting and cleaning.  Packed up a box of DVD's for Randy in Idaho.

We made a Hawaiian pizza for dinner.  I haven't mentioned the kinds of pizza we have been making, as they are usually pepperoni or sausage and onion.  The only reason I mention this one is to irritate our family Chicago-pizza connoisseur. . .

Saturday 1/12. It is 30 and overcast this morning with valley fog that seems to be growing rapidly.  And grow it did, arriving at Rose Camp by 9:00 am.  Fortunately it didn't stay long and was already receding as we all went on the morning walk.  It all disappeared except for a little over the rivers.

Both JB and I got a lot done in the loft today, sorting, cleaning and re-arranging.  I may actually have room to do some more craft projects, which is good because I am finally in the crafting mood again after a couple of not-so-crafty years.  And JB's work desk has actually appeared again.

The clouds revealed by the disappearing fog began to disappear themselves until after sunset we had a clear sky and bright, twinkling stars.  Our high for the day was 36.

Just as we were settling into bed for the night around 9:30 or so, we heard howling coming up from down in the canyon.  Not the yipping kind from coyotes, but rather the long howl of a wolf.  We have only heard this once before, in the late 1980's when we were camping on Cooper Lake in the Cascades.  Then the howling lasted quite a while and sounded like it was from one pack to another.  Many voices involved.  Quite amazing and spine tingling.

Sunday 1/13. It is 26 this morning and there isn't a cloud in the sky.  As always, in this cold weather, I give the girls cooked oatmeal for breakfast.  But lately, instead of bananas all the time, I have been adding fresh spinach and raisins.  They love it!

As the sun rose and found the trees covered in rime, small rain showers dotted the forest.  But only on those trees did it melt, so by afternoon there were white and green trees intermixed, and some trees were both colors, green on one side and white on the other.

I drove Miss Kitty all around our drive, around the house and up to the south ridge.  I wanted to be sure that I could make it down and back up the mountain tomorrow when I go Down There.  Should be able to.

I finished another item on my January to-do list today.  I had taken photos of all our family antiques and such; printed them out and numbered them.  Today I used Excel to make a numbered list of each item, giving the history and approximate age.  This is for our son, so he will know the history of everything.  I also prepared my list of things to buy and places to go tomorrow.

The sky remained clear all day long and our high for the day was just 34.  Ice crystals have formed on the snow and put on quite a show sparkling in the sun, but even more spectacular is how they sparkle in the moonlight.  Like a fairyland with its winged residents just out of sight.

Monday 1/14. It is 22/20 this morning and looks to be another cold and cloudless day.  I plan to leave for Down There by 9:00 am.

Thought for the day: Never be a prisoner of your past.  It was just a lesson, not a life sentence.
(I found this on Facebook and it really struck a cord in me!)

No comments:

Post a Comment