Friday, January 18, 2019

January 18, 2019 Larry & A Bear, More Snow, & No More Wine

The rising berm just
outside the bathroom
window.
On our Thursday afternoon
walk on the south ridge.
















Wednesday 1/16. It is 20 and overcast this morning.  These clouds are supposed to let loose this evening for some wild winter weather.  We ended up having two false starts during the day that barely dropped a trace, even though we could see that it was snowing in every direction around us.  The real snow arrived just after dinner and continued all night.

I think my washing machine had a little stroke.  It works, but I have to monitor it and sometimes change cycles manually.  Not much I can do about it until the road is clear.  I never have liked this top-loading machine, but that is my fault for not doing enough research.  I would like my next one to be front-loading like I had for so many years.

JB drove Miss Kitty down to MAX to start him up and run the engine for a little bit.  While he was waiting, he put oil in Miss Kitty and dug out a place in which to turn her around.

We got quite a story while talking to Larry this evening.  Turns out he went for a long hike today up a small canyon just across from his house.  He and his son had found a hole in one of the slopes last Fall, and he found it again.  He was seeing a lot of large wolf prints around and he heard some noise coming from within the hole.  It is only about two feet wide and he murmured to himself out loud, "Oh, a bear couldn't fit in there."  Sure enough, just as he got his face a couple of feet from the opening, a big, ol' furry face & muzzle appeared.  He didn't wait around to see how big that bear was!  That man has had so many such episodes in his life, I'm surprised he is still around.

Thursday 1/17. It is 27 this morning and still snowing.  Of course it stopped at 8:30 am, just after I got inside from feeding the girls and measuring the snow.  We received 7" overnight.  By 9:00, the temperature had risen to 34 and the snow was sliding off the roof in big clumps and loud thuds, making our house's side-berms grow even higher.

Before breakfast, JB trudged and slogged up to the solar panels to clear them off.  Then he shoveled a path and small area for the dogs to do their business in by the fence so they don't have to squat into the snow.  After lunch he baked some of his delicious banana bread.

By early afternoon the sun was trying to break through the clouds, but of course that only enticed the valley fog to climb higher.  So we were fogged in for the rest of the day, and our high was 34.

I had enjoyed barely a half of a glass of wine with dinner this evening.  At midnight my body woke me up and took two hours to let me know that I was never, under any circumstances, to drink wine again.  Never, ever.  Message taken.  And this with a brother-in-law who owns a winery. . .

Friday 1/18. It is 32, mostly clear and wind gusting to 17 mph this morning.  Am definitely going back to bed after I feed the girls and dogs.

Thought for the day: Usually terrible things that are done with the excuse that progress requires them are not really progress at all, but just terrible things.  Russell Baker


No comments:

Post a Comment