Monday, January 23, 2012

January 23, 2012


Dinga & JB resting after a hard day
playing in the snow

Our home in the snow
 










Didn't get outside to work on MAX yesterday - snowing too hard.  It started coming down about 9:00 a.m. and I felt like drinking cocoa all day long.  By 3:30 p.m. we had another two inches.  So quiet.  So beautiful.  At least on this side of the mountains.  The clouds have disappeared for today and the sun is shining brightly on the snow.  A good day to work on MAX.  Aunt Nene has just about had it with the snow on the west side.  They never lost power like alot of other folks, but they have a short, steep driveway for which they needed help clearing off the snow and ice.  And a bad case of cabin fever has settled in.  I keep telling her to come up and spend the winter with us.  I'd even buy her a pair of snow shoes. 

I obviously do not understand the technology behind accessing the internet on our wireless system.  On a clear day I often have problems getting on, yet when it is snowing or storming outside, I get all the bars and have no issues.  Hmmm. . .

We are still getting a few yellow jackets coming out of hibernation in the house.  Not nearly as many as the first few years when we could have as many as 10-15 per day, but there seem to be a couple every day.  Especially when it is really cold outside and really warm in the loft.  I didn't get all the caulking done that I had planned to do last year, so that will be on the top of my list for this year - after we finish the tongue-in-groove pine walls of the great room.

Our major project outside will be to build a shelter for MAX in which we can do repairs.  I had forgotten that MAX will not fit through the shop door with the tracks on, and because of the necessary supports for the roof (deck), we cannot widen the door.  It won't have to be anything big or fancy, or even completely enclosed.  Just someplace where we can get in out of the weather.  Still don't know if we will get chickens or not with all the other projects and expenses that are piling up.  Just have to wait and see.

Thought for the day:  My great ambition is to build something that will last, at least until I've finished building it.   Ashleigh Brilliant

No comments:

Post a Comment