Monday, January 30, 2012

January 30, 2012


Snow slipping off the woodshed roof


View on a sunny day last week
& we were almost too busy fixing MAX to enjoy it


















Sometimes it is good just to be.  Not do.  Down There is like a hive of bees.  Always so much doing.  So many goings on.  Up Here when I get up in the morning, I usually just sit with my cup of tea or coffee and look out the windows.  Or stare at the fire.  Let the morning slowly unfold.  No rush to get going.  I just am.  When one is young there is little time or desire to just be.  Now there is both.  Or maybe it's just my lazy coming out. . .

But it is hard to "be" in the middle of chaos, so being Up Here seems to make all the difference.  Each of us looks at the world and interprets it through our own filters.  Filters that get clogged up with the detritus of civilization.  Nature has a way of cleaning out those filters and letting us see life as it really is, or should be.  I promised myself that I would never take our home (Rose Camp) or its views for granted.  And to date, every time I look about I am still amazed.  At the beauty and the fact that we actually live here.  So far, so good.

With the warm temperatures (38 was Sunday's high), all that beauty may be turning to mud real soon.  Or one good freeze and we'll be back to being covered with ice like we were before the big snow. It is 28 this morning and looks slippery out there.  With any luck it will be too icy to get down the road on Tuesday for my dentist appointment. . .

Speaking of my dislike for water, as I was the other day, when I worked for StairMaster the management had a penchant for "bonding experiences".  One such experience was to go white-water rafting down the Wenatchee River.  I actually like rivers and like to wade in them or even float down them in a boat, but for this event we had to wear wet suits.  At first I thought that was a good idea, thinking a wet suit would keep me dry.  Silly me.  I enjoyed the rafting (I got to sit in the very middle of the raft), but by the time we came to the end of the ride I was soaked inside that "dry" suit.  We then had a 1/2 hour bus ride back to our cars that was simply miserable.  After we shed the suits, tried to dry off and get dressed in an outhouse, we drove to Leavenworth for dinner.  No one told us to bring a change of underwear, so by the time we ate, my wet bra and panties had soaked through the rest of my clothes.  Somehow "bonding" is the least of my memories of that day.

Thought for the day:  You are never to old to learn something stupid.


No comments:

Post a Comment