Saturday, January 7, 2012

January 8, 2012

Wildlife caught on our game cam!

As you can see, we finally captured some wildlife on our new video cam.  Each picture is captioned with the date, time of day, the temperature and the phase of the moon.  One of the pictures at 5:15 am Saturday morning of Dinga had a picture of a deer one minute later going in the opposite direction! JB wants videos, so when we put the card back in, that is what he set it for.  Saturday morning the dogs started a loud ruckus inside caused by a doe with two smaller deer following her along the south ridge - just out of range of the camera.  We kept the dogs inside until the deer were well on their way.

There certainly are a lot of after-holiday ads on the internet from all my favorite catalogs!  I usually just delete them without looking, except for Lehman's.  They had their less expensive stainless steel juicer/steamer on sale so I did order one.  When I took the canning class in 2010, the teacher recommended this kind as it is so easy to extract juice from any fruit or vegetable.  You can use the juice for drinking or to make jelly or syrup.  It will be perfect (and so much easier) for the rose hips, which, by the way, are still on the bushes as I did not get any more picked.  And did not get the jam made.  But with this steamer, I definitely plan to do it this year.

Last Fall my brother was raving about the video he saw on PBS called "Alone in the Wilderness", so I bought the book for him for his birthday.  The name of it is One Man's Wilderness, An Alaskan Odyssey, written by Sam Keith from the pictures and journals of Richard Proenneke.  I also gave the book to JB for Christmas and he just finished it.  From his comments, it sounds like an incredible story.  JB gave me the next three books of the Game of Thrones series and I have almost finished Clash of Kings, the second one in the series.  I plan to read the Wilderness book next.  As I have mentioned before, we both do a lot of reading in the winter.

JB made pulled pork yesterday - one of his specialties.  He also started the sourdough bread, using 2 cups of Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Baking Flour and 1 cup sweet sorghum flour instead of 3 cups of wheat flour.  After the starter is ready, it takes another 18 hours for the bread dough to rise, and about 12 hours for biscuits.  He got on this sourdough kick while reading the Wilderness book.  I guess Richard started his sourdough biscuits rising first thing every morning so they would be ready for dinner.  As far as I am concerned, JB can bake all he likes.  The more he bakes, the less I have to.

Thought for the day:  One of the good things about getting older is you find you're more interesting than most of the people you meet.   Lee Marvin

No comments:

Post a Comment