Wednesday, February 15, 2012

February 15, 2012

Finally - some wildlife. . .
Saw this squirrel yesterday sitting on the horse skull in the grove.  He was chewing on it for the calcium as little critters and birds often do.  Makes it hard to find good bones and antlers though.

JB baked bread on Monday adding Garden Herb seasonings to it - basil, marjoram, thyme and chives.  Yum!  One other aspect of gluten free bread that I don't think I have mentioned, is that it does not have to be kneaded.  Just let it rise for 15 minutes or so until it reaches the top of the pan, then put it in the oven to bake.  Kneading is strictly to prepare gluten so the bread will turn out right.  Tuesday evening he made German pancakes for Valentine's Day dinner.  With peaches and brown sugar on top - Oh, my!

On Monday he also cut the wood for the bathroom window sill.  He has to sand it, then put spar varnish on each piece before installing them.  After he does the bathroom window, he plans to cut and install the wood for the living room window sill.  His wood stove in the shop keeps him nice and toasty while he's working.

On Saturday I had cleaned the wood stove and, fortunately, this time I remembered to do it before I showered.  The dogs and I went for a short hike on Monday up to the peak on our south ridge, then down the fence line and back to the house.  Saw lots of deer tracks and found the YakTrax for my boot that I had lost the last time I hiked through the trees.  I spent Tuesday sorting and organizing most of my finished product for my crafting business.  I had been busy making jewelry, magnets and plaques when we lived in Illinois right up until I started packing to move, so I didn't have a chance to sell them all.  Did not realize just how many items I had!  I doubt I will be making earrings or pins anymore, as I want to concentrate more on cards and maybe necklaces.  I really enjoy making the beads and pendants out of polymer clay.  It is a fantastic medium to work with.

A very fine, wet snow was falling most of Tuesday but didn't really stick until about 3:30 pm when we went for our daily walk.  I think the surfaces were too warm from the previous few days when it was in the low 30's, and the snow was too wet. Yesterday's high was 27.  The fog was also creeping in and out, so it was definitely a good day for working inside.  Our walk was strictly for exercise, as we couldn't see very far at all.  February is usually a very mild month west of the Cascades, with temperatures sometimes reaching into the high 50's.  I mentioned that we listen to the NOAA weather station each day, and it is interesting that records for both the high and low temperatures in Wenatchee are very recent.  Nothing going back further that the mid-1960's, and most of them since the 1980's.

I haven't done any political ranting for a while, so here goes.  Regardless if you agree with their political views or not, it seems like there has not been any class in the White House since the Carters.  Well, except for Laura Bush.  And the Kennedy's put them all to shame.  Yeah, yeah, I realize that it is more important to have good, solid policies that have a positive effect on America, but it is also encouraging to have leaders with some class.  After all, they are our royalty, so to speak, and represent our country.  I am actually embarrassed by our current representation.  They simply don't have a clue. . . about anything.

Thought for the day:  We do not have to visit a madhouse to find disordered minds; our planet is the mental institution of the universe.  Goethe



No comments:

Post a Comment