Friday, February 17, 2012

February 17, 2012

A sample of the variety of eggs
that we get from Larry & Elsie
The dogs and I walked down to the hairpin turn that is a little beyond our driveway on Wednesday.  Checked the game cam on the way and it has 19 photos on it.  I'm sure that 4 or 5 are of JB and me.  There may be 8 of Jesse going up and down the road, and a couple of Larry and Elsie.  So just maybe there will be a few pictures of some wild life.  We'll see on Sunday.

I also spent time on both Wednesday and Thursday sorting and re-arranging some kitchen shelves and drawers, and my desk.  I am often trying to figure out more efficient and space-saving ways of arranging the little things.  The more I do it, the more space I have.  This also includes getting rid of things I don't need.  And the longer we are up here, the less we need.  Funny how that works.

On Wednesday, JB cut the wood for and installed the windowsill for the living room.  What a difference it makes to have the window framed in wood instead of plastic and duct tape.  You would think that in the 3-1/2 years we that we have been in the house we would have attended to such details, but the living room wall is still plastic so it didn't seem that urgent.  But our first project when the road is passable, is to get the tongue-in-groove wood up here and get that wall done.  I can hardly wait!

The dogs were both really barking Wednesday morning.  Once we got outside, we heard the wild turkeys that were causing them to get all worked up.  Saw some tracks fairly close to the house on the west side, too.  Also heard the blue grouse for the first time this year.

We had blue sky and sunshine all day Wednesday, but yesterday there was light snowfall for most of the day with the fog once again creeping in and out.  Same thing this morning.  JB drove down the shortcut to RJ's cabin and then the loop out his road and back up to ours in hopes of making easier access for this weekend.  He thinks he will be able to drive them all the way in to the cabin on RJ's road.  However when I spoke to RJ last night, they had to cancel their plans for various reasons  NOAA is predicting a snow storm beginning on Saturday, so it's probably a good thing they are not coming Up Here.

The day I posted the photo of rabbit tracks coming from the tipi, Aunt Nene advised me via e-mail that I should check inside the tipi to be sure it's not the Easter Bunny storing his Easter eggs in there!  She also thinks that if I don't want to put out a side of beef to entice the cougar near the game cam, I should at least put out some of my cookies.  She always sends e-mail comments on each posting and I always look forward to reading them.

Don't think I have written much about the magazine "Farm Show."   I am so intrigued by all the ingenious adaptations and inventions shown in it by farmers just making what they need.  Most of them would be of no use to us, but they are still fascinating to read about.  There are also some great recipes from readers.  But my favorite part of the magazine is the Editor's Notebook page by editor and publisher Mark Newhall.  This is where I get some of my political thoughts for the day.  I love the way this guy thinks!

Thought for the day:  The policy of American government is to leave its citizens free, neither restraining them nor aiding them in their pursuits.  Thomas Jefferson  (Well you certainly couldn't tell that by our current government!)

No comments:

Post a Comment