Saturday, May 19, 2012

May 19, 2012


Our fenced garden.

Larry tilling with the chickens
 










Turkey visiting the chickens!

I love the humming birds!  I refilled their feeder on Wednesday and as I walked out the door with it, one of them almost landed on the feeder while I was carrying it.  I hung it up and another humming bird appeared.  I simply stood there as they battled to see who would get to eat.  I guess they finally called a truce, as they both landed on the feeder obviously keeping an eye on each other.  Being that close, I could tell that one of them was a ruby throated humming bird.  So beautiful!  Now if I can just remember to take my camera next time I feed them.

Thursday was one of the best birthdays I have ever had.  The gifts, the day, the phone calls - everything was just perfect.  We got all the fence posts up around the garden, and JB put together the frames for around his tomato planters and planted his herbs.  I cleaned out the storage area in the loft, which I needed to do in order to reach the trunk with our summer clothes.  So now our winter clothes are all packed away and our summer clothes are out.  Our weather has been so warm and dry that we really do need some rain.  (Not too much, please.)  And not this Sunday as there is an eclipse of the sun about 5:00 pm that we are supposed to be able to see.

Yesterday JB and I made our six-month garbage-and-recycle-cardboard trip Down There.  After dumping those off, we bought the fencing for the garden and wood to frame in the bathroom window.  Then back home to put up the fence.  This weekend I will till the garden a bit more and JB will make the gate.  We're getting there, and I can't believe I am so excited about it.

Above are photos of our garden and Larry and Elsie's.  She sent me that photo of the chickens following Larry.  They got so close that he thought a couple of them were going to get tilled right into the soil!  He has finished their "chicken tractor" so the chickens will spend the summer out at lots of different locations instead of in their coup.  Seems like they are loving it.  And the wild turkeys are very inquisitive.

Larry and Elsie have had only the one sighting of bears this year - the mama and her two cubs.  Seems the cause of this is that someone in the next canyon over on the paved road was taking out hunters during bear season and baiting the bears.  Sounds like alot of them were shot.  So sad. . .  So bad, and I am so mad!

Thought for the day:  If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.  Doug Larson

No comments:

Post a Comment