Friday, July 13, 2012

July 13, 2012 Beating the Heat



Result of Sunday's storm

Potato plant bloom -
Who knew it would be so pretty?!
 



















Friday the 13th - didn't we just have one of those?!

Enough bitching and moaning about it being too hot to work outside.  The dogs woke me up at 5:30 am yesterday so I got up, got dressed and got to work.  It was 62 and clear outside, just perfect.  Raked and shoveled, snipped and wheelbarrowed.  Felt good to be working again.  Our new yard is looking better and better, and the new grass is too.  By 9:00 it was too warm and I was too tired.  More than three hours out working may sound impressive, but I spent almost an hour of that talking to my BFF, Sandy. . .  Did get alot done, though.

I left early enough on Wednesday to get a few groceries before Dinga's vet appointment and picked up the mail afterward, but it was just too hot to leave the dogs in the car to get ice cream afterwards and too early to get it beforehand.  So, no ice cream.  I guess I will survive as I have plenty of chocolate. . .  Was home by 10:45 and spent the rest of the day reading mail, magazines, and newspapers.  And taking a nice, long nap.

The fireweed is blooming along the road.  Not quite Up Here yet, but it shouldn't be too long now.  Most of the rose petals have dropped off and the hips are forming.  The lupine is going to seed, so now the predominant colors are white, red, orange and cerise (yarrow, paintbrush & fireweed).

We must have had some nasty winds racing down the canyon Sunday and Monday nights as there were two large trees blown down.  The biggest one is in the photo above and is the one which was partially blown over last winter.  The other tree was a standing dead on our land. 

JB found out that it is only about $70 to fly one way from Wenatchee to Seattle, so he will probably fly instead of drive when he goes over to stay with his Mom next year.  He will also fly over this summer to pick up the wood from his brother's yard.  He will rent a truck to drive it back here.

RJ should be up this weekend for another week.  And I got an email from the couple who owns the property next to us and they will be up for the weekend.  Always love company.

Larry and Elsie drove up last night and brought an ATV for me to use over the weekend.  I am going to water their flowers and garden, and feed the chickens and cats while they go to their favorite lake for a couple days.

The dogs didn't wake me up early this morning, but the alarm did.  Unfortunately, now that I don't have to be to work, I have a tendency to turn off the alarm, go back to sleep and not even remember having done so.  I did manage to get out and move several loads of rock to the south side of the house over the plastic and now am dripping sweat on the computer as I type.  We didn't get the predicted rain last night but there are some promising clouds out there.  It's been 82 the last couple days and this hot spell is supposed to continue for a few more days.  Each day has been about 13 degrees above average according to NOAA.

Thought for the day:  It is not our job to protect the people from the consequences of their political choices.  Chief Justice John Roberts, U.S. Supreme Court (I LOVE this guy!)

No comments:

Post a Comment