Friday, July 27, 2012

July 27, 2012 Dinga, Rose & the Rattler




Rattler loves the nice warm rocks

We were relaxing on the porch after moving three stumps from the grove to the splitter late Wednesday morning, when it sounded like Dinga hit her head under the porch.  She came running out in a very aggitated state and wanted to go inside.  We thought a bug got her.  We all went in for lunch and came out about an hour later to work some more.  I was walking past the porch to go up to the shed and get the rake.  It was a very hot day so I was wearing my sandals, and when I do I am always very aware of my immediate surroundings.  Which is fortunate, because at that moment my immediate surroundings included a rattle snake on the rocks by the edge of the porch.  I jumped and yelled at JB to get the gun.  I ran to get my walking sticks, deciding not to waste good ammo.  I held it down with one stick and skewered its head with the other.  Cut off the rattles (4 small ones) and the head.
 
Well, that experience was better than a cup of coffee to get my blood moving. Took a bit for my heart to slow down. I did, however, change my sandals for my boots. . . I remember writing last year what Larry had said after having an encounter with a rattler at one of their ponds: Rattlesnakes have proven that white men really can jump!

The grove is looking good now with all the stumps and dirt clods gone. We will probably set up the food table there for the Rose Camp BBQ and Potluck on the 5th. It’s nice and shady there, with more room than the porch. So far we have at least twelve people who will be attending.

Yesterday we got out the big ladder so JB could cut some big branches of three different trees. The lack of one of them creates a much better view of the mountains from the deck. Another large one was just one big wind storm away from coming down. JB also started chipping early while it was still cool outside and got two bags done to cover the dirt in front of the porch. So now we have chipping on one side of the "creek" and grass on the other. About 10:00 a.m. I drove down to Larry and Elsie’s to pick pie cherries. They had harvested all they wanted and offered the rest to us. They were so wonderfully ripe that they just slid off the pits and the juice ran down my arms and into my armpits. Sticky, sticky, sticky! Had to practically take a bath in their laundry room sink. Also had to go to potty which meant taking off my gun. I layed it on the table and immediately forgot about it. Wasn’t till evening that I realized I didn’t have it and couldn’t remember what I had done with it. SO glad it was still in their house and not dropped on the road somewhere, having set it on the roof of the car or some such other stupidity. I never would have lived that down with Larry.

The grasshoppers have arrived en force, jumping and clicking all over the place. Seem to be a few more this year. Probably because it is dryer than it has been for a few year. Yesterday we had huge thunderclouds all around us. Could hear the thunder and see the rain a couple canyons to the west, but that was as close as it got. Sure could use some more rain Up Here.

Finally read the news about the discovery in the physics field (of course I can’t locate the name of it right now). But physics always seems to confirm my spiritual beliefs, as I know it does with many others. As I understand it, everything starts out with zero mass then as it slows down it gains mass. Well, that makes sense. We are basically spiritual beings with no mass, until we slow down and experience a physical existence. Also makes sense because in our human form the more we slow down the more mass we amass. . .and usually in our ass. . .

Well, enough of that.  I have work to do. . .

Thought for the day:  If you risk nothing, then you risk everything.  Geena Davis

No comments:

Post a Comment