Wednesday, July 25, 2012

July 25, 2012 Cheap Redecorating



Look, Nene.  RJ has a door on his cabin!


Our finished, funky fence














Going Down There both Monday and Tuesday was a bit much for the psyche. At least my Jeep is fixed and the shopping is done. Just have to go again on Friday, 8/3, to get some last minute items for the BBQ on 8/5.
 Thought for the day: Politician- a fellow who will lay down your life for his country. Texas Guinan
A little on the late side, but now that our yard is redone and a bit organized, I bought some plants for the barrel planters and flower pots. Just some pink flox and red and white petunias, but they add a bit of color. Might pick a few different kinds on the third if they are still available. The price is certainly right this time of the summer.

Purple has once again been added to the forest color scheme. The asters are beginning to bloom. There is a large group of them where our road turns off from the main canyon road and they are usually the first to bloom. I may try to transplant some into the yard when the blooms appear Up Here. I would also love to get some of the sweet peas growing by the fence, as they are climbers.

RJ will be back late August 1, and this time he will be bringing my "baby" brother, Sam, up from Oregon for a week’s visit at his cabin. (RJ is my "little" brother.) I haven’t seen him since before we moved to Chicago in 2003 as he lived in Florida then. Am really looking forward to our reunion.

It is taking JB a while to settle back in and get his energy back. I am sure people who live Down There don’t realize the noise pollution that is constantly bombarding them, among other things. Watching the news every night didn’t do him any good either. However, he was able to watch a few TV shows we were curious about and really enjoyed them.

And speaking of inexpensive (I must have been at some point), I redecorate the great room about once a month by recovering the furniture. The original upholstery has barely seen the light of day since we adopted our first two greyhounds the summer of 1995. I cover the couch, loveseat, and chair with sheets that have great patterns on them. I usually buy flannel sheets when they are on sale in the Spring. I have also found regular sheets with very pretty and/or unusual patterns in just the right colors at second-hand stores. I tuck the sheets in around the cushions and it looks just like a new fitted cover.


Thought for the day:  Politician- a fellow who will lay down your life for his country.  Texas Guinan

No comments:

Post a Comment