Tuesday, July 3, 2012

July 3, 2012 Hummer Wars




Photos from our game cam for the past two weeks.







I am definitely going to have to get another hummingbird feeder!  We can actually hear their beaks slamming together as the hummingbirds fight for control of the syrup.  They flare their tail feathers and tweet as they use their beaks as swords.  Obi Wan has nothing on these little guys!

I did some serious house cleaning on Saturday, what with the recent mud fest and the dogs shedding half their body weight in fur.  It was a high of 68 outside with several short showers as the cells floated over, but very nice overall.  Then about 4:30 the clouds got more serious with a 45 minute downpour accompanied by thunder and lightening.  After it all calmed down and cleared out, I went out on my fire check hike.  A couple spots caught my eye, but after a few minutes it was obvious that they were wisps of fog and not smoke.

JB chipped two loads for the parking area.  Had a lot of fir needles in it, so it smelled like Christmas.  When I was done inside, I went out and raked, trying to smooth out the graded dirt and get rid of the clods.

Even with the rain, Larry and Elsie drove up for a visit, with more eggs of course.  They said that in places there was a river flowing down the road.

On Sunday RJ, Mike and a friend of RJ's who was up for the weekend came for breakfast which was a lot of fun.  Since it was our "day of rest", after lunch I walked aways down the driveway to clip low tree branches and thin out a few smaller trees.  JB mowed the loop around the south ridge, which takes five round-trips to finish.  With temperature in the high 60's and a breeze, it was another great day.

I am really amazed at all the wild roses that are blooming.  The weather must be ideal for them, and the lupine.  Must be just right for the butterflies too, as they are flittering all over Up Here.  And, once again, the wrens have flittered away without saying goodbye.  But I still hear a male wren, so we must have another pair nesting close by.

Yesterday, after dishes and laundry, I picked rose petals for the jelly recipe I had found.  One cup of slightly packed petals is a bit more than it might sound.  I think I shook all the bugs off. . .  In going over the basic canning directions, I realized that I had forgotten to add 10 minutes to the processing time because of our elevation for the blueberry pie filling that I made on  Thursday.  I hope that wasn't too drastic of an oversight.  But the jelly turned out very well, with a slight flavor of roses.  Delightful!

JB was out before breakfast yesterday to mow the road up to the peak.  Then after breakfast he mowed the large triangle south of the house which is created by the driveway.  Makes it look like a park.  After lunch we cut down a few large branches that were hanging low but needed a ladder to reach.  Then he chipped another two loads for the parking area while I moved the branches to the chipping pile and trimmed the edges around the triangle.  He wants to get a lot of these chores done before he leaves for Seattle on Friday.

It is supposed to be stormy today, but nice for July 4, which I am sure is the first time this century.  Looking forward to our BBQ tomorrow with RJ and Mike - and a nice, lazy day.

Thought for the day:  If you want to save face, keep the lower half of it shut.

No comments:

Post a Comment