Wednesday, June 12, 2013

June 12, 2013 Back to Work



Lupine and roses


Another member of the sunflower
family now blooming















Monday, 6/10.  After breakfast RJ dug the hole down to the water pipe that we need to fix.  It does indeed look a bit squished, so I am fairly certain that is where our problem lies.

Another beautiful day, sunny with a high of 64. 

Sunday evening at dinner I broke the tooth that had lost the filling a few days before.  This morning I called and was able to get in to see the dentist so he could tell me if it could be saved or not.  I drove down early to run some errands, including dropping off two large bags of recycle and buying a new Mr. Coffee.  It seems that my tooth needs to be pulled, but the dentist did grind off the sharp edge for me.  I have an appointment with the "tooth puller" on the 24th.  Can hardly wait. . .

JB baked cranberry scones while I was gone and then grilled some chicken breasts for dinner.

There is twice as much lupine blooming now as there was before we left on our trip.  The balsam root is going to seed, but another member of the sunflower family is blooming, although in much smaller numbers.  The blue Douglas triteria is still in abundance, but I do not see it anywhere except at Rose Camp.  Not even along our road.  The paintbrush is also popping up, scattering its red amongst all the purple.

Tuesday, 6/11.  RJ came up for breakfast again and JB made a fritata with sweet peppers, kilbasa and cheese.  RJ leaves tomorrow and may not be back up until the end of July.

Another sunny day, but with a very cool, light wind and a high of only 56.  But perfect weather in which to work outside.  JB cut up about 2/3 of the logs that we had left over from last Fall into lengths for the splitter.  I stacked them.  Also sorted out the pieces of bark from last Fall that could be used for pathways and stacked them by the wood shed.  Then defrosted the fridge and freezer.

I took Jesse on a couple long walks on the leash, then about 2:30 let him out on his own.  He wouldn't go off the porch except to pee.  When we went on our afternoon walk, I had to coax him to come with us.  He stayed close by me and was very skittish.  Every little shadow and stick startled him.  I think he feels much safer when he is on the leash.  It may take him a while to feel comfortable out on his own again.

The cool wind became a very cold wind by early evening and I actually put a fire in the wood stove.  Then we watched as four deer walked along the trail from the south ridge through the east slope, nibbling on bushes as they went.  The two younger ones were very frisky, taking so much delight in the moment. 

As Spring quickens its pace towards Summer, I love the lingering light.  Even by 10:00 pm the darkness has not completely over taken it.

Wednesday, 6/12.  It was clear and 38 when I let the dogs out at 5:45 this morning.  Jesse must be over his initial trepidation at being out on his own.  He ran down the driveway just like he always did.  However, when I sat down on the couch I discovered that he had literally wet his bed.  Fortunately there were enough layers so it didn't go all the way through.  He has been drinking and peeing a lot since he came home.  I hope it is just his meds and not permanent damage to his urinary tract.

Lots to do today.  Hopefully we can finish cutting the logs, and maybe I can start tilling the garden.

Thought for the day:  Behold the turtle.  He makes progress only when he sticks his neck out.

No comments:

Post a Comment