Wednesday, June 19, 2013

June 19, 2013 Double Rainbow & A Moose



My blooming iris.



The double rainbow!


















Monday, 6/17.  There was a light rain sometime last night.  Everything smelled so fresh.  Before breakfast the dogs and I took a leisurely walk up to the peak and around the south ridge.  The way they were sniffing and darting this way and that, some critter(s) was certainly up there during the night.  These walks are a great way to start to day.  I just need the impetus to do it.  Because there is always so much to be done, I can get very lazy Up Here for anything not completely necessary.

JB mowed a large patch near the splitter where we are going to cut logs from now on.  We really need to get a riding mower.  Hopefully next year.

We cut down four of eight trees just to the west of the grove.  We'll do the other four tomorrow.  This gives us about a 30' wide, treeless swath which will help if a fire should come from that direction.  Once downed, JB cut the trees in half and I limbed them.  Then he used his Jeep to drag them up near the splitter.

After dinner I spent almost an hour pulling devil's claw from the slope created by the earth moved last summer to fix our drainage problem.  The trees we cut are just at the bottom of it.

Fluffy white clouds floated over all day long and our high was 68.  As the back edge of a large, dark cloud moved over us about 8:00 pm, the wind picked up and the rain begain to fall.  There was a brilliant double rainbow to the east that was simply stunning.  The sun was low enough to shine through the rain from the clear sky to the west.  It was phenomenal!  Simply amazing!  How does one find the words to describe such a site?  I restrained myself and took only 18 pictures of it. . .

My friend in Idaho sent an email describing an incredible experience she just had with a young bull moose in velvet.  She was inside the house and watched as "he slowly walked up to the house, checking out my flowers and rhubarb.  Then he came on over to the stone walkway (that goes to her house).  Jake (her dog) was on the porch.  He got up and watched through  the screen door.  The moose slowly walked up within 3 feet of Jake.  Jake turned his head and looked up at me.  I told him it was alright.  The moose walked over and drank from Jake's water then very slowly walked down below the house."  Of course her camera was in the car!

Tuesday, 6/18.  There was a light overcast and 49 this morning.  No walk, just sat on the porch and enjoyed.  It would be hard to imagine mornings without the wren's song.  It's the icing on our Spring and Summer days.  While sitting there, we decided on a less strenuous plan of action for today.  Want to give our muscles a rest.

We sliced and vacuum sealed a ham, then also vacuum sealed a package of chicken strips.  I bought them frozen from Costco, but I always seal them in serving sizes.  Otherwise they get freezer burn if I keep them all in the large bag.

JB changed the oil in the generator, did a few other outside chores and got ready to go Down There tomorrow.  The repairman will be up around 9:00 am to fix our washer.  When JB drives him back down to the gate, he'll go on into town to get his car and the gas cans filled.  Will also pick up the mail, a few groceries, and a "happy" pill for me to take 1/2 hour prior to my dentist appointment on Monday.

I broke branchwood for a small wheelbarrow load and stacked it in the shed.  Moved good pieces of bark from near the splitter to my stack for use in making paths through the mud.  Then used larger pieces to add to the little wall along the top of the gravel on the south side of the house.  Also worked a little on the rock wall.  Washed out the bird bath and refilled it.  We got done with all that just as it started raining about 2:15 pm.  The shower lasted about an hour.

A second bud is blooming on my iris!  Sooo pretty!  I just hope the deer do not like irises.

Another shower moved in half-way through our walk, so we cut it short.  Always glad to have Mother Nature's help in watering the garden though.  When the rain stopped, the fog moved in for a couple hours and our high for the day was only 54.  I put in a fire before dinner to get rid of the damp chill.

As far as politicians go, past and present, I think I have moved past angry into simply sad and disappointed.  It just seems that the large majority of them are much more concerned with getting re-elected than doing what is right and what is best for the country and its citizens.  Nothing new, but it just seems that with each election we get our hopes up when voting in new candidates, only to be disappointed again.

Wednesday, 6/19.  Overcast and 39 with a little drizzle.  Supposed to be like this for the next few days. 

Our prayers are with you Baby Smith.

Thought for the day: In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is Congress.  John Adams

No comments:

Post a Comment