Monday, June 24, 2013

June 24, 2013 Firewood



One. . .


two. . .


three!
 Friday, 6/21.  We dropped the other four trees today.  Once again, I limbed them and JB cut them in half and dragged them with his Jeep up near the splitter.  We plan to cut them into rounds tomorrow.  A good day's work done in a few hours.

About 9:00 pm I could see the moon low over the south ridge, so I put my boots back on.  Grabbed my gun and camera.  Called the dogs and walked up to the ridge.  But by the time I got there it had slipped behind the cloud cover.  I could hear coyotes in the canyon and the dogs down there barking at them.

It was mostly overcast all day, but kept promising to clear up.  Never did.

Saturday, 6/22.  I slept in til 8:00 am after Jesse stayed out chasing coyotes or whatever from 5:00 til 6:40!  We had partial overcast and 56.  Took our coffee on the porch.

I think this will be our last year for a garden.  We simply do not have enough water.  I will just be more diligent about buying and canning fresh fruits and vegetables from the abundant Wenatchee valley orchards.  Am also going to try oven canning of dry foods.  We may just do pots of herbs and such.

Improvise is the name of the game Up Here.  With everything possible available Down There, it can dull the imagination.

After lunch we cut the 6-1/2 logs into 16" rounds.  The one smaller tree and the top half of another went into the cradle to be cut later.  Then we stacked all the rounds.  It took two hours from getting the tools out; cutting and stacking the wood; taking a break; and putting all the tools away.  Felt like four or more hours. . .

After dinner the dogs and I went for a nice, leisurely walk down the road a ways while JB prepared his lasagne for Sunday's dinner.  It sits in the refrigerator for 24 hours or so before being baked.

Sunday, 6/23.  There was a full Strawberry Moon at 4:32 this morning.  The dogs went out at 5:00 but it was too cloudy to see.  There was a wonderful red sunrise though, and Jesse stayed out 40 minutes to enjoy it. 

It was overcast again and 50 with rain in the forecast starting tomorrow.  I had decided that today I am going to church.  Haven't been in more than 15 years and even then it was sporadic.  But I feel it is time to go again.  Time to be a part of a group that is doing things for the community, the country and the world, and who believe, at least in part, the way I do.

It was a very good experience and I will probably go as often as possible.  I picked up the mail and a few groceries and drove home in the midst of a light shower.  It rained harder for a while while I was napping.

JB baked his lasagne for dinner and it was so delicious!

Monday, 6/24.  This morning I get to go to the dentist and have a tooth pulled.  Fortunately it is a back molar on the bottom, but my stomach is churning.  I really must learn that some fears acquired in childhood are no longer relevant.  Like fear of going to the dentist.  I may not be writing much about the rest of this day on my next posting.  What we do have to look forward is the tractor being delivered on Tuesday or Wednesday.  I will  post a photo of it, and I'm sure it won't be the last. 

Thanks for the comment.  Yes, at our age it is definitely better to use our heads instead of our backs! 

Thought for the day: I define nothing.  Not beauty, not patriotism.  I take each thing as it is, without prior rules about what it should be.  Bob Dylan

No comments:

Post a Comment