Monday, June 17, 2013

June 17, 2013 To Sweat or Not to Sweat



Guarding the feeder!


Striking a pose.



















Friday, 6/14.  I left for Down There about 9:30 am and was back by 2:00.  While I was gone JB tilled the whole garden twice, going down as far as the tiller would allow.  When I got home, I put the groceries away then raked the garden dirt smooth, taking out the few rocks that had been dug up.

My Aunt Nene responded to my comment about having to get a tooth pulled and said that my Grandfather used to pull his own teeth!  Ouch!

A long day for both of us.  We relaxed after dinner and watched "Bernie" with Jack Black and Shirley McLaine.  Excellent!

Saturday, 6/15.  No popping out of bed and going for a hike or Down There.  This was a morning to sleep in, then take my coffee out on the porch and sit in the sun.  It was 49.  My attitude this morning is: Don't want to.  Don't have to.  Can't make me.  I'm retired! 

While we were all sitting out there, the dogs spotted our little herd of deer coming up the east slope and chased them off.  We watched the humming bird wars.  You can actually hear their beaks click against one another as they spar, fighting for feeding rights.

A light overcast was moving in by 10:30 am, and had covered the sky by late afternoon.  Our high for the day was 62.

In addition to our daily chores, we planted five rows of potatoes, two of Yukon gold and 3 of red Pontiacs.  JB also planted the two tomato plants, heirloom Pink Brandywine.

After dinner we watched "Flight" with Denzel Washington.  It's a good thing we didn't watch it before our trip to Maryland.  I may not have gone!

Sunday, 6/16.  It was Father's Day, so no hiking again.  We just sat out on the porch together.  In the sun.  With our coffee.  So nice. . .

I thoroughly vacuumed while JB took the dogs on a run with MAX and picked up the game cam card.  There were a few good photos of the dogs and me hiking, RJ's and our Jeeps going up and down, and a couple of deer.

JB spent most of the rest of the day working on an old laptop he wants to get working.  I cut down two small trees on the south ridge.  One was standing dead and the other was crowding a little taller tree.  I tried to cut/break a load of branch wood, but it was just too hot.  By noon it was already 72 and that was our high for the day.  But it was very muggy and clouded over by late afternoon.  I puttered around outside, in any shade I could find, trimming branches off a log, gathering more rocks for the short wall in the gravel, and other such chores.  I waited til the area was shaded, then finished a wheel barrow load of branch wood and stacked it.

As muggy as it was, it was certainly a good day for butterflies.  I saw them everywhere.

I have decided to stop using anti-perspirant and go with just deoderant.  I probably should have started in the winter instead of warm weather, but here I go.  Except for days when I go Down There.  Don't want to have big, wet circles under my arms.  Since menopause, I don't perspire, I sweat like a wrestler!

Monday, 6/17.  The sky is mostly clear, with just a few clouds, and it is 49.  I am dressed and ready for a morning walk.

Thought for the day:  I learned in that horrible place, that hate is killing.  Hate is a prison.  If I would have hate in my heart, I would not be free.  I would be the prisoner of my own hate.  I don't want to be a prisoner any more.  I want to be free and I am free.  Noemi Bon, retired schoolteacher and Holocaust survivor.

No comments:

Post a Comment