Friday, June 14, 2013

June 14, 2013 Thunderstorm



One of the four deer on east slope
 Tuesday evening.


Stacked rounds

Iris beginning to bloom
 










Wednesday, 6/12.  We had leftover fritata with sour cream for breakfast.  Yummm!  After we ate, but before doing the dishes, I took the dogs for a walk down the driveway and up to Erno's.  As much as I like sitting on the porch with my coffee when I get up, I discovered that I really like an early morning walk, even if one way is a steep uphill climb.  Will try to start doing that every morning.  Well, almost every morning. . . don't want to get too gung ho about this.

Clouds moved in by early afternoon and we had a few short sprinkles.  Our high for the day was only 57, but the clouds had moved on by early evening.

JB finished cutting the logs and also cut all the branch wood in the cradle.  I took four wheel barrow loads to the woodshed and stacked them.  Then stacked all the rounds by the splitter.  A good day's work.

The house was a bit chilly by the time we were ready for bed, so I put a fire in the wood stove.

Thursday, 6/13.  I was up at 7:45 am and off for a walk down past the game cam.  A sunny morning, but a chilly 42.

It has now been one week since Jesse was bitten by the rattlesnake and he seems to be completely back to normal, even his appetite.  No wetting accident last night.  His swelling and bruising is gone, and he is his old frisky self.  Now he just has to grow back his hair where he was shaved.

I am going Down There tomorrow as I forgot to mail a birthday card.  I will do about 27 other errands too, so I got organized for that trip.  Going to town from Up Here is never as simple as grabbing my purse and leaving.  I have to be sure I know everything we need and need to do, food and otherwise.  This time I have paper recycle to take.  Will pick up onion and potato starts, and two heirloom tomato plants, and buy groceries.  I also have to drop of chain saw chains to be sharpened (although we really do need to learn how to do that ourselves.)  And, of course, pick up and send mail.

Did a load of laundry today instead of tomorrow.  JB gave the garden its initial tilling, than scattered the compost on it.  Tomorrow he will till it deeper and get the compost mixed in.

I hung out the wash.  Cut/broke a wheelbarrow load of branch wood and stacked it in the shed, which finished the first row.  Then I worked on fixing and finishing the short wall in the gravelled area on the south side of the house, which included gathering some big rocks to use.  I watered my outdoor plants, including the one iris that looks like it wants to open up any moment.

Clouds had moved in again by early afternoon and a few claps of thunder rolled down the canyon to the south of us.  By late afternoon the sky to the north was very dark and soon dark clouds were directly above us.  We could hear ominous, not-so-distant thunder.  But the storm was short-lived with no rain, and had passed over us by the time we finished dinner.  Was another cool day with a high of 58.

The house never really warmed up during the day so I put in a fire right after dinner.  Then I went for another walk with the dogs while JB worked on organizing his Magic cards.

Friday, 6/14.  Another sunny morning, but it is only 36!  There is rain in the forecast for all of next week.  Thank goodness I'm going Down There today.

Thought for the day:  Go Blackhawks!!  (The Chicago Blackhawks are playing for the Stanley Cup against the Boston Bruins.)

No comments:

Post a Comment