Wednesday, July 24, 2013

July 24, 2013 Water and Cherries

Thistles blooming in the meadow.

Monday, 7/22.  Slept in, fed the dogs and was off to Larry and Elsie's to pick pie cherries and fill up our water containers a little after 8:00.   Driving down I noticed that the purple thistles are blooming in the meadow in the canyon.  This is the same meadow in which the large, old lilac bush grows.  When I arrived back home, I hauled out the empty water barrel which I will use for the water I bring up from their place.  We can use it for washing and other potable water needs.  Will use the water in the cistern for cooking, washing dishes and the occasional quick shower. 

Turned on my music.  Made some more hummingbird syrup.  Ate breakfast.  One of my favorite cd's is "Forest Piano", part of the Solitudes' series from the mid-90's.  Just piano against the background of bird calls, crickets, wind, water and other forest sounds.  I also enjoy music by Yanni, James Galway, Brule, and, of course, Alabama.  I have selections from all of these artists in the stereo right now.

Maybe I don't have to give up on the garden just yet.  Elsie suggested that if I drive down every day for water, I should have enough to coax the plants along.  Once I get both barrels full, I shouldn't have to go down every day and, hopefully, by then we will have the water issue all fixed, if it is a pitless adapter problem.

After my late breakfast I started pitting cherries until the splitter was in the shade again.  Then I split and stacked two loads of wood.  Had a light lunch and took a 2-1/2 hour nap, after which I felt so much better, so I pitted more cherries.  I was starting to let everything get to me, which I think was triggered by the water situation.  I know both JB and I are a bit anxious about his upcoming operation on the 14th.  I am so grateful that our son will be here to help.  Not the most ideal way to get him out for a visit, but I'll take what I can get.  

When the splitter was back in the shade, I split and stacked two more loads.  Wasn't too bad as there was a nice breeze.  A lot of wood that I split today was from the large fir tree than JB cut down last week, the large trunk pieces.  The bark was very thick with the consistency of thick leather.  Fascinating!  What can I say - I'm easily amused.  

JB called, as he will every evening.  He let me know that the royal baby has finally arrived.  He had taken our trailer with him to Seattle and spent much of the day at his other brother's house filling it with cherry wood from a tree they had to cut down.  It filled up the trailer so now we will have some nice hardwood to burn also.

One of the humming bird feeders was completely empty this evening and there were four birds drinking from the four "flowers" of the other one, with three birds in a holding pattern.  Must be the heat or they had a lot of out-of-town guests.  Our high for the day was 82 again, with a warm breeze.

With this heat, the birds have been very quiet lately.  I am sure some of them have left since there is no extra water for the bird bath.  Made me think of the question one of JB's nephews asked at our 4th of July picnic, "How could you hear a rattle snake above all the noise the birds are making?"  I can only think that they were celebrating with us that day.

My Aunt Nene called last evening to ask how close we were to the fire at Lake Wenatchee and did I have my "go" bag packed.  Well, we are at least 25 miles east as the crow flies, and I hadn't heard about the fire.  And I hadn't even thought about a "go" bag.  So last night I packed a small one and gathered a few supplies, including dog food, which are now sitting near the front door.

Tuesday, 7/23. I was out the door at 6:15 am.  Had to fill the little gas can I use for the splitter and put some gas in my car.  Also had to saw off the ends of two of the boards I use as braces at the open end of the wood shed.  Then I split and stacked four loads of wood by 7:45 am.  By then both the dogs and I were ready for breakfast, and I was starting to work up a sweat.  No wonder - it was already 70!  It would be heavenly if I could work outside Up Here in my sandals, but that just isn't going to happen.  What I need are air conditioned boots!  At least I have several buckwheat "scarves" in the refrigerator to put around my neck when I get too hot.  They really save the day.

After eating, I drove down to fill up our containers with water a little after 9:00 am.  Dumped it all in the barrel when I got back home.  I saw the splitter was still in the shade so I split and stacked another load.  When I was done, it was time for the dogs' morning walk.  Morning?!!  Seems like it should be time for their afternoon walk. . .

I stayed inside reading and working on photos on my computer til about 2:30 when I ventured out to split and stack another load of wood.  When the splitter is in the shade, it's not the splitting that causes me to work up a sweat.  The machine does most of the work.  It's the stacking that is the problem, as that woodshed is a cooker in the sun if there is no substantial breeze.

After dinner I watered the potatoes and tomatoes with water from the garden barrel.  The high for today at Rose Camp was 81.  JB told me that the Seattle TV station had forecast 102 for Wenatchee tomorrow.  Lovely.  My eye appointment is for 1:00 pm, right in the heat of the day.  At least the office will be air conditioned. . .

Wednesday, 7/24.  The early morning cool is so refreshing.  My alone time would be so much better if I could be outside working more, or even inside, but is has just been too hot for any type of exertion.  I certainly do not look forward to going Down There today.  Am looking forward to new glasses though, and picking up the mail, and bananas for my smoothies.

Thought for the day:  A joy that is not shared, I've been told, is a joy short lived.  Anne Sexton  

No comments:

Post a Comment