Friday, July 26, 2013

July 26, 2013 Enough With the Heat Already!

I know there's a critter in there!

Wednesday's sunset














Wednesday, 7/24.  Took the dogs on a walk after I fed them at 8:00 am.  Since it has been too hot after I am done working in the mornings, they haven't really had a chance to get out and about.  We hiked down our road past RJ's shortcut, to just even with the spring.  All in the shade and the freshness of the morning cool.  Jesse got a whiff of something and took off up the side of the mountain.  I turned back and Dinga stayed with me till we were almost to the hairpin turn, then she too was off on a trail.  I ended up coming home alone, which is very unusual.  One of them is always with me.  I guess it had just been too many days since they had been for a long walk, as they don't venture that far by themselves.  Dinga arrived back about ten minutes after I did, and Jesse came panting up the porch steps a few minutes later.

I ate breakfast and took a "Navy" shower.  Probably had the water on for a minute at the most.  Left for Down There about 11:30 am.  Went to pick up the mail first.  I had to mail a large envelope and got to talking to the clerk, then walked out leaving my big pile of mail sitting on the table.  I can't believe I did that!  Oh, wait a minute.  Yes I can. . .

I did remember to stop and fill our containers with water on my way home.  Will continue to water the potatoes every other day as we have been since it stopped raining.  The tomatoes need watering every day.

82 again today, and was still 78 at 8:00 pm.  Enough already!

Thursday, 7/25.  I was outside by 7:15 am.  Split and stacked two wheel barrow loads before it was time to feed the dogs.  Jessie always lets me know, in no uncertain terms, when it is time for them to eat.  After we all ate breakfast, I was back out to split and stack four more loads.  Seems like it isn't getting hot as early today.  Or maybe I am just finally getting used to it.  Cooler, more seasonable weather isn't supposed to arrive til this weekend. Yeah, that's what they said last week. . .

After lunch and a short nap, I split and stacked two more loads.  Then it was simply too hot, 2:30 pm and 80.  Our high for the day was 82 again.

I am going Down There again tomorrow to do laundry, grocery shopping and actually pick up the mail this time.

Some of the other birds may have moved on but the nuthatches are still here en force.  I love to stand in the grove and watch them skitter up and down the tree trunks and along the branches, and listen to their chatterings.

This evening the dogs flushed a couple of turkeys into the trees on the west ridge.  I don't know where they get the energy to do such things in this heat.  They have been inside whenever I am, just trying to stay cool.

A few days of alone time is nice.  Everyone needs their space, but I am not one to enjoy it for very long.  Talking on the phone to JB and friends helps.  On the other hand, I am not a very social person either.  The first few years we were Up Here, I thought I might make a good hermit, but now I know I would definitely not.  My Aunt Nene has been alone for six months now and I am sure it must seem a lot longer than that to her.  She forces herself out every day and is making the most of her situation.  I am so in awe of her.

Larry and Elsie came up to check on me under the guise of a visit, which was much appreciated.  We talked a lot about the weather and how this is the kind of summer that they both remember growing up in Wenatchee.  Both summer and winter have mellowed here in the past few decades.  The dogs were thrilled at getting to see someone else besides me.  They have only been getting half their usual attention with JB gone.

Friday, 7/26.  I want to get an early start so I can be back home before the heat of the day.  Looks to be another hot one.

Thought for the day:  When one door of happiness closes another opens: but, often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.  Helen Keller         

No comments:

Post a Comment