Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Dec 11, 2013 Exploding Cans

Clouds moving in Tuesday afternoon.

Deer & rabbit tracks on the north ridge.
















Monday 12/9.  The drive down our snowy road was certainly beautiful, but slow and fairly uneventful, except for one corner.  Our road is obviously a wildlife thoroughfare for deer, rabbits and squirrels.  

The line at the post office was fairly short, and I was done at the laundromat by noon.  Then to Costco, Fred Meyer, and the UPS store to pick up the mail.  I called JB as I was leaving Fred Meyer so he could start down in his Jeep to pick me up at Larry and Elsie's.  He actually got there before I did.  The paved canyon road from town to our dirt canyon road had been plowed but was very icy.  So glad this will probably be my last trip down until March.

We made it back to Rose Camp by 3:00.  Our high for the day was 14, which I don't think was very much below the high Down There.

I am beginning to think that when I drink eggnog, it never makes it to my stomach, but rather seeps out directly to my waist and piles on another layer with each glass. . .  Ah, the holidays.  I'll work it off next summer.

Finally figured out what the occasional noise was out on the porch.  We had about five cans of soda that we could not fit into the cooler and they were exploding!  Fortunately they were still in the case, which kept the mess mainly contained.  And, yes, most of the beer froze, but mine did not leak or explode.  However, JB lost two of his last three gluten-free beers.  They did leak.  I thawed out one of mine (Corona) and drank it.  Tastes just fine, so we're not in deep doodoo after all.

Some of the DVD's I had ordered were in our mail, including the first season of Homeland.  We watched the pilot and the next episode this evening.  This is going to be a great series!

Tuesday 12/10.  This morning was 15 and overcast, but blue sky soon began appearing and by 10:00 am, when we went out to put the track back on MAX, the sun was peeking out.  We enjoyed a bright and sunny early afternoon with a high of 21. 

By 11:30 we had the track back on MAX, which entailed jacking MAX up onto pieces of wood.  Taking off the middle tire, and using the shop vac to suck the air out of the other two tires.  Then juggling the track back on, before which we always kiss and apologize for any angry remarks we may growl during the process.  It actually went on fairly easily this time, and then we reversed the operation, putting the tire back on.  The air back in the other two, and lowering MAX back down to the ground.

There are so many deer tracks all around the house and on the west and north ridges just since yesterday!  Not sure if they came during the night or while we were gone on Monday.  Lots of rabbit and squirrel tracks, also. 

After lunch, I climbed up to the loft to make some cards while JB went out to try to start the snow blower again.  I suggested that he just stay inside and bang his head against the wall, as he would probably have the same results.  He didn't take me up on my suggestion, but the outcome was as I had predicted.

By the time we went for our afternoon walk at 3:30 pm, clouds, most likely carrying the forecast snow, were moving in from the southwest.

Wednesday 12/11.  It is overcast and 11 degrees this morning, however the snow forecast has been moved out until Friday or later.  Who knows though, those clouds looks pretty ominous.

Thought for the day: For to be free is not merely to cast off one's chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others.  Nelson Mandela - Rest in Peace, Oh Brave One.

No comments:

Post a Comment