Friday, July 1, 2016

July 1, 2016 Getting Ready for the Fourth

Ready for the
Fourth of July!



Wednesday 6/29. While JB was out riding around with the propane rep, I did the chores, laundry, and began preparing for the weekend guests.  Worked mostly inside, but after dinner I trimmed some of the longer grass on the edges of the yard.

JB and the rep were at our house around 10:00 am.  About five minutes after they left, JB called to say they were just down the road by the spring and so was a bear!  The rep got a few good photos and promised to email us one.

JB was home about noon and very tired.  His knees have been bothering him for a couple days, so he just rested and went to bed early.

By the amount of activity around the wrens' nest, I believe the babies have hatched.  I hope we get a chance to see them before they all leave.

I had a nice chat with Randy yesterday.  He is really having to do a lot of weed eating and is getting quite tired of it.  His place has so many rocks that he can only use the riding lawn mower in one small area.  Also, northern Idaho is having quite a problem with rust this year.  That is a virus that attacks the trees and Randy says he has lost more than 40 fir trees.

When I talked with Elsie on the radio this evening, I mentioned that my anxiety level was rising with so much to do to get ready for the weekend.  She reminded me that we live in a cabin in the woods and guests don't expect it to be shiny clean with a manicured lawn.  They want rustic.  So rustic is what they will get.  And with that, my anxiety level dropped several notches.

Thursday 6/30.  This last day of June began with a delightful 58 degrees and a cool breeze.  My, the month slipped by fast.

This was a day of cleaning, inside and out.  I vacuumed and did my annual dusting.  Took unnecessary items off the porch and swept it.  Generally cleaned up.  

JB just took it easy today, trying to get his knees feeling better.

Tomorrow I will go grocery shopping now that we know just how many people will be here, as there have been a few changes.  Two guests will arrive on Saturday and three more on Sunday, two just for the day.  The other three will stay until Monday morning.  I have also invited the Gridders up for the Sunday BBQ, but don't know yet if they will be coming.

After dinner I vacuumed and cleaned the outhouse.  With just a few last minute things to do Saturday morning, I think I am just about ready.

Friday 7/1. July is starting out with a chilly temp of 42 and mostly blue skies.  It should be a very pleasant day Down There for shopping.

Thought for the day: They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither and will lose both.  Benjamin Franklin

No comments:

Post a Comment