Wednesday, July 27, 2016

July 27, 2016 More Wood, More Eggs, More Years

Fireweed along the main canyon
road by the aspen.

Moving large branches
to the cradle.












Monday 7/25. Jesse and I were on our way Down There to the vet at 8:30 am, and were able to be back home by 10:30, before the worst of the heat.  Since the splitter was in the shade, I split the big pieces of branch wood that JB had cut yesterday and one large round that JB helped me move.  By then it was too hot to do anything but nap and read books.

Our high for the day was 89. . .

Still on season four of Downton Abbey, and still loving it.

Tuesday 7/26. It was 62 and clear this morning.  Dinga woke us up around 2:00 am and we discovered that there was quite a light show going on to the northeast of us.  The sky was clear and the stars were out, except for over there.  She must have been able to hear the thunder, which we could not.  JB finally had to go sleep on the couch to calm her down.

We both managed to get a little more sleep, and were out right after breakfast.  JB cut the last cradle-full of branch wood that was there and several trunk pieces.  Then I loaded and he moved three tractor bucket loads to the splitter and four loads to the wood shed.  We then moved two piles of large branch wood in eight loads to the cradle.  And that was definitely enough for the day.

Our high for the day was 86.  Since it is so hot, I do not wait until 3:30 pm (the time of our afternoon walk, when it isn't so hot) to check for eggs.  We have been getting a small brown egg every day since the first one appeared on Friday.  And already they are almost as big as the white ones.

I took the humming bird feeders down today.  We have seen only one or two of the little guys in in past several days.  This is at least two or three weeks early for them all to have left.

Now that I am in the last year of my sixth decade on earth, 60-anything sounds so young.  But 70. . . well, 70-and-older is a badge of achievement.  Something to be proud of.  I am not sure that I look younger than 69, but I am quite sure that I look younger than 70.  We'll see when next May comes around.  

It is kind of like when I was in my late twenties.  I actually looked forward to turning thirty because 20-something sounded so immature.  The only birthday that really hit me hard was when I turned fifty.  Not sure why.  But it just sounded so very old.  But now both Sandy and I agree that we feel stuck at 50 mentally.  I know I am in better shape now than I was then, even though I was working in the fitness industry and had a gym to use at work.

Growing old gives one such a different sense of age.  There comes a point where time ceases to have meaning, or at least the meaning that is used to.

Wednesday 7/27.  It is 62 and clear this morning.  JB will be on his way Down There by 9:00 am for his doctor's appointment, to run some errands and buy some groceries.  It's going to be another hot one, especially in town.

Thought for the day: One is never old enough to know better.  Holbrook Jackson

No comments:

Post a Comment