Wednesday, July 20, 2016

July 20, 2016 Rain & Solitude




An odd cloud formation to
the south on Saturday.



Monday 7/18. With dark clouds threatening, I got outside right after talking with JB in order to get at least something done before the rain arrived.  I pulled tall weeds that grow along the road to the south ridge by the old wood berm.  It is easier to pull them when they are just two to four feet high, instead of five to six feet high.  And especially while the ground is soft and wet from all the rain.  I didn't quite finish before the rain began falling a little after 10:00 am, so I got a bit damp.

Then I fixed myself a big bowl of old fashioned oatmeal cooked with raisins, and added maple syrup and a little milk.  (Don't gag, Nene!)  The perfect breakfast on a cool, wet morning.  And I put a fire in the wood stove to take out the damp cold.  Our high for the day was just 64.

It rained off and on most of the day, so I finished a "fluff" book and began to read Tara Road by Maeve Binchy.  I have to be in the mood for her books, and I guess I am because I am really enjoying it.  I also baked peanut butter-chocolate chip cookies.

Between last night and tonight, I am up to the middle of the second season of Downton Abbey.  I am watching three or four episodes an evening and loving it.

Tuesday 7/19. It was 60 and cloudy this morning, with more thunder storms in the forecast.  I got out after a late breakfast and did some splitting.  Then I took a break and picked some wild currants.  We have a lot of them this year and I haven't ever done anything with them.  Our edible plant book says they are good for pies, tarts, jams, jellies and wine.

Randy called while I was picking currents and we had a nice talk.  He says the berries, including currants, are ripening over at his place now, too.  One of his other favorite blogs mentioned them just this morning.

After lunch I split some more wood and used the tractor to move it all over to the wood shed in 4-1/2 loads.  Then I drove the tractor up the road to the south ridge to collect all the weeds I pulled yesterday.  In doing that, I had to drive all the way around the ridge and there are a couple of rather steep places.  I did just fine though, and got the weeds dumped on the newest swale on the southeast slope.  

Then I stacked all the wood and took a rest on the porch.  I had to fill the humming bird feeders this morning, but I sure am not seeing very many of the little birds about.

We had a couple light showers move through in the late afternoon, but all the big thunder clouds went to the northeast, with smaller ones marching behind.  I could hear the thunder and see the rain falling as I puttered around outside after dinner.  The dogs heard it too, and stuck right by me.  Our high for the day was a very pleasant 71.

As much as I miss JB, I do enjoy the solitude of the mountain.  It is a very important part of my life, and I think it should be important to everyone.  We all need our alone time.  I know I do.  Time to do what I want to do and eat what I want to eat on my schedule.  Time to contemplate.  Time to listen to the silence.  Time to be.  But only for a week, thank you.  That is plenty long enough.

Well, that all sounds very nice, but there are the chickens and the dogs and the chores.  It's not a vacation, it's just a bit of solitude.

Up Here it is easy to be alone, even if we are both here.  After all, there is plenty of room for that on forty acres.  Of course there is usually a dog or two along, and I find myself talking to them more this week.  JB talks to them much more than I do, which is not to say that I do not give them any attention.  He just talks to them like he would another person and assumes they understand what he is saying.  From their actions, I think they do. . .

Wednesday 7/20. It is 58 and clear this morning.  Going to be another busy day.

Thought for the day: Do something every day that you don't want to do; this is the golden rule for acquiring the habit of doing your duty without pain.  Mark Twain

No comments:

Post a Comment