Friday, July 22, 2016

July 22, 2016 All Things English

Frog on the fire weed
next to the porch.



Wednesday 7/20. It was another busy day of laundry and vacuuming, cutting and splitting wood.  I used the tractor to move four bucket loads of wood to the wood shed, and then stacked it after dinner.  The fourth row is about half full now.

It was a beautiful day with a high of 74.  And, of course, I watched several more episodes of Downton Abbey.  Because of this, I have been staying up much later than usual, and tonight I coaxed the dogs out at 10:30 pm to do their nightly business, hoping they wouldn't get me up to go out in the middle of the night.

Thursday 7/21. It was 58 and clear again this morning.  I will definitely get the dogs out late each night now as they did let me sleep with no interruptions.  They woke me up at 6:45 am and I was wide awake.  So I made my coffee and sat on the porch to enjoy the early morning.  I noticed a little green frog sitting on the fire weed by the porch and got a cute photo of it.

By the time JB called at 9:00 am, I had done my morning chores including all the watering, and was ready to get to the wood.  We had a nice chat, as usual, and when we were done, I cut one cradle-full of wood and refilled it.  Then I split some wood.  After that, I found that a large bush that I had wanted to cut down was in the shade, so I cut most of it.  Also worked on the shoring up the swale by the hen house.  Busy, busy day, but also quite warm, with a high of 81.

I love the peanut butter-chocolate chip cookies I baked a few days ago, but they can be very dangerous.  I could easily eat a dozen of them in one sitting.  I told JB that there may not be any left when he gets home, and I may just be right.

We have been invaded by ants the last couple weeks.  I have sprayed inside and out to no avail.  But today I finally found where they were entering the house, which is from the shop.  They were getting in where the deck (roof of the shop) meets the end of the house.  I thoroughly sprayed there and will put foam or sealant along the seam soon.  I didn't see any live ants in the house today.

Re-watching Downton Abbey has made me realize once again how much I love all things English.  My Mother was raised in London until she was seventeen, and my grandparents were the epitome of proper English, especially my grandfather.  My Mother was always proper in her manners, her grammar and her dress.  Always worried about "what the neighbors would think."  I think that hearing an English accent is very soothing to me because I associate it with mostly good times.

My maternal grandparents had been wealthy when my Mother was growing up and she inherited much of their beautiful, antique furniture, paintings, vases, knick-knacks, jewelry, and such.  Furnishings that I grew up with.  Even though we didn't have much money, we were surrounded by beautiful things, some of which, unfortunately, my Mother had to sell off as the years went by.  So, seeing all the incredible antiques in Downton Abbey, gives me great pleasure, as does hearing all the lovely English accents.

I also am envious of their many traditions, and those things sacred to them.  I think that is missing in America these days.  No tradition is so sacred that is cannot just be forgotten, or dispensed with.  People don't seem to care how they look any more.  They don't even dress up for church, or very many other occasions or situations.  I miss that.  It all seems to have gone downhill since the beginning of the 1960's.  So I can identify with the Dowager Countess when she wants things in her world to go back to the way it was before WWI.

Friday 7/22. It is 60 and mostly clear this morning with a breeze.  Didn't get a good night's sleep, I'm afraid.  The dogs wanted out at 2:30 am.  It was raining, and when they came in, Dinga paced around the bedroom for a good half hour.  Don't know if she was expecting thunder or what.

JB will most likely be home on Sunday.  Traffic over the passes is heavy going east on Saturdays.

Thought for the day: Money isn't everything as long as you have enough.  Malcom Forbes

No comments:

Post a Comment