Friday, July 29, 2016

July 29, 2016 Heat & Visitors


My morning companion
on the porch.



Wednesday 7/27. After JB left for Down There at 9:00 am, I hung out the laundry and then split the large branch and the trunk wood that he had cut yesterday.  And that was it for outside projects.  We are expecting increased heat and dry weather through Friday, but cooler temperatures for the weekend.

I asked Mrs. Gridder what time she would like me to be at her place Friday morning.  When she e-mailed me back, "Since it is going to be a hot day, how about 7:30", I almost asked, "a.m. or p.m.?"

The small brown eggs we got each day became almost as big as the white ones by Monday.  Then yesterday we got another tiny one, so another one of the younger girls must be laying now also.

While JB was gone, I re-arranged some of the kitchen cupboards and a few of the pantry shelves to make better use of them.  Still doing this after eight years.

My source for inexpensive DVDs, Hastings, is going bankrupt!  They are no longer selling on the internet, so one of JB's errands for today was to go to their store in town and spend our gift cards that I had purchased to use on-line.  There is really no other such store in town, so I suppose I will have to buy from Amazon.  I like neither that company nor their founder for their holier-than-thou attitude, and their could-care-less treatment of their employees.  It is pretty much "if you don't like it here, go ahead and quit.  There are plenty more where you came from."  My cousin quite several years ago and won a law suit against them to collect unemployment, as many others have.

There is a great article in the 7/25 issue of Time magazine entitled, "The healing power of nature."  It seems that the positive effects of being out in the woods can be physically measured.  And I am not at all surprised.

JB got home a little after 2:00 pm, very glad to leave most of the heat below.  The doctor said that he has osteopina, and possibly osteopourosis which is causing the problem in his knee.  But he is to go to the doctor the next time it blows up because it could also be gout.  Unfortunately there is nothing they can do unless he breaks something.  He is supposed to keep his leg as straight as possible and use two walking sticks when walking up or down hill.  And also get a bone density test next week.  He will have to start taking calcium and vitamin D, just like I do.

Just before dinner, Mr. and Mrs. Sixer arrived on their bikes, with three of their boys following in their side-by-side.  We had a great visit, and they invited us to dinner on Sunday at their cabin.  They have really been working on renovating it, to we are anxious to see it.  The Gridders and Larry and Elsie will also be invited for dinner.

We watched the last episode of Downton Abbey's season four and the last episode of season six.  I love the very last lines of this series.  Mrs. Crawley and the Dowager Countess are sitting together just after the stroke of midnight going into 1927.  Mrs. Crawley says, "Oh, this is exciting.  We are going into the future, not back into the past."  And the Countess replies, "If only we had a choice."

Thursday 7/28. It was 72 and clear this morning with a light breeze.  No outside work today, other than watering the flowers and garden.

I prepped everything for making blueberry jam, but it was just too hot.  I will make it on Sunday.  We both read papers and magazines that JB brought home yesterday, and just tried to stay cool.  I also cut JB's hair out on the porch in the afternoon.  Our high for the day was 88.

I will have to get up at 6:00 am tomorrow morning in order to be out of here by 7:00 am.  I have a list of several items I will be looking for, including a push mower.

Friday 7/29. It was 68 and clear when I got up at 6:00 am this morning.  Looking forward to the garage sales, just not the heat.

Thought for the day: Friendship is a know tied by angels.

No comments:

Post a Comment