Wednesday, December 7, 2016

December 7, 2016 Moving Our Jeep for the Winter

The view out the front door
Tuesday morning.

Taking JB's Jeep down the
mountain for the winter.













Monday 12/5. The drive down the mountain wasn't as bad as I thought it might be.  There were lots of turkey tracks just down from the hairpin and again the bobcat or small cougar tracks going down the road.  Got all my errands done except for finding one very necessary item for my Christmas project, and that was after hitting all three craft stores.  I'll just have to modify it a bit.

A light snow began falling in town around 11:00 am, a couple hours after it started at Rose Camp.  The drive back up the mountain was pretty dicey.  At one point I wasn't sure if I was going to make it, but JB's Jeep just kept on going while I drove in 4-low-low gear at 1200 to 1500 rpms.

I knew that a propane refrigerator put out a lot of heat, but now we are finding out just how much!  It is a little harder to heat the house, but then our high for today was only 24.  With the fridge on the porch, it is colder inside of it than when it was in the house.  Liquids aren't freezing, but it is too cold to thaw something frozen.  So I put anything we need thawed in the bedroom by the open (2") window.

Tuesday 12/6. It was 19 and still snowing this morning.  While I swept off the porch, JB trudged up to the panels to clear them off and measured 6-1/2" of new snow.  I called Elsie to ask if it would be okay for us to bring JB's Jeep down for the winter and she said they thought we would be calling today as they received 5" of snow.

This is Dinga's favorite time of the year and she happily ran up to the panels with JB.  Jesse, on the other hand, indicated that he was just fine inside, laying by the wood stove.

JB could not get the snow blower started.  We put some Seafoam in the gas tank and will try again tomorrow.  After lunch we put the ice chains on Miss Kitty, which is my least favorite winter chore.  Then a little after 2:00 pm, we left for Larry and Elsie's with JB driving his Jeep and me driving Miss Kitty.  Also checked the mail while we were down there, and let their dogs out for a potty break and then a treat.  No problems getting down or back up.

The snow stopped falling mid-morning and the sun was out in a blue sky for the rest of the day.  So beautiful!  Our high for the day was just 22.  Lots more snow and low temps in the forecast for this week.  When JB did his nightly check at 9:30, the temp had dropped to 14.

Wednesday 12/7. It is a balmy 12 degrees this morning with overcast skies cutting the tops off of the mountains.  I am definitely staying inside today.

Thought for the day: It's a little embarrassing that after 45 years of research and study, the best advice I can give people is to be a little kinder to each other.  Aldous Huxley

No comments:

Post a Comment