Friday, February 10, 2017

February 10, 2017 Snow, Rain & Wind!

Shoveling off the battery/
generator shed.

Me after jumping off
the shed roof - almost
up to my arm pits in
the snow!

The beautiful loaf of
onion bread that JB
baked on Wednesday.














Wednesday 2/8. We had 3" of snow by 3:00 pm.  That pretty much says it all for the day. . . 

Thursday 2/9. It was 20 and overcast this morning and we had received a total of 5" of snow.  Both main passes over the mountains are closed because of avalanche danger, and we can hear the canons booming on Mission Ridge.

We had freezing rain some time during the night that formed a crust on the snow.  With more rain in the forecast for today, I got outside at 9:00 am and began clearing off the battery/generator shed roof.  If that one collapses, we are in deep doo-doo.  If the wood shed collapses, we'll just dig out the wood.

It took me about 1-1/2 hours to clear the 3-1/2" feet of snow off the roof.  Then I had to bring in the fire wood and give the girls their morning corn.  I was about to go inside when I realized that if we got more freezing rain, I had better dig out the cistern riser or I would never be able to lift the lid.

When I finally got inside a little after 11:00, I ate breakfast, took some ibuprofen and went back to bed for an hour.  My that felt good!

The sun popped out just as I got inside, then the fog began forming.  But by 1:30 the temperature had jumped up to 38, the wind was gusting to 11 mph and it was pouring with rain.  Everything slid off our house roof, making quite a bit of noise, as a lot of it was ice.  We got a little more than 1/4" of rain before it stopped.  What a mess this is going to be.  I really do need to get out tomorrow and work on clearing off the wood shed roof as much as possible.

By sundown the wind had cleared away the clouds and the almost-full moon rose and ignited the darkness

Friday 2/10. It is 32 this morning and a light snow flurry has just arrived, but the sky is clearing, so it won't last for long.  The SnoCat express is due up tomorrow evening.

Thought for the day: Fear is a liar.  Make a point of calling its bluff.  Guideposts Feb 2017, Taraji P. Henson's Father


No comments:

Post a Comment